!HELP! Turkey poult attacked by cat and poisoned?

VI KING RANCH

Songster
8 Years
Feb 23, 2011
387
4
111
Campbell River
My turkey poult " Me" who hatched May 25 2011 was attacked by a cat yesterday. He seemed fine then with only minor injuries but today he won't eat and seems to be dying. He seems to by poisoned! This is the only bird that I hAve as a pet. He is as tame as can be and I really don't want to lose him. Is there anything that I can do to save him? Should I put him down? He can't walk he trys but flips onto his back. Other than that he sits there shaking.
Please help
Me
 

silkiechicken

Staff PhD
Premium Feather Member
12 Years
13 Years
Jan 25, 2007
21,494
975
393
Everett WA/Corvallis OR
Cat claws can have some real bad germs in there and your poult can have internal injuries that you can't see. If there were any scratches or bites, this is a case where antibiotics may help providing they haven't been overused and they are resistant.
 

VI KING RANCH

Songster
8 Years
Feb 23, 2011
387
4
111
Campbell River
All I can see for injuries is where the claws or teeth went in no tears just in and out type of thing. He is the only survivor of this cat attack the cat killed 6 young pollits and for this the cat shall die!
 

ReikiStar

Songster
8 Years
May 3, 2011
880
22
123
Cascade foothills of WA
Sorry. That doesn't sound good. You're only chance is to get him to an avian vet. Silkiechicken is right, birds usually die from infection gained through germs on cats' claws, more than from physical injuries made by the cat.

Hoping you can get him the help he needs and that he pulls through.
 

VI KING RANCH

Songster
8 Years
Feb 23, 2011
387
4
111
Campbell River
My vet is a pain as he lives 30 minutes away and wants $100 upfront to see anything! I can't pay that for Me is there any antibiotics I can give him?
 

KYTinpusher

Master Enabler
8 Years
Sep 3, 2011
4,469
435
296
Northern KY
If you have a Whole Foods or natural foods store near you, you could try homeopathic remedies - it should not be any more than $8-$10/per remedy, maybe less. I'm no expert, but if it were my animal, I would use Aconite 30C (for the fear and shock) and Ledum 30C (for the effect of puncture wounds). They will be small pellets. Try not to touch the pellets and put 2-3 of each in his mouth (one is actually enough, but I often lose one or two when trying to put it in an animals mouth). You can try this every couple of hours for three times. Once you see improvement, don't give another dose unless and until he starts to relapse. This will not interfere with any antibiotic treatment you may decide to use.
 

VI KING RANCH

Songster
8 Years
Feb 23, 2011
387
4
111
Campbell River
Ok got back from the health food store with everything plus arnica. Got it all into him fine and I also gave him a drop of rescue remidie.I will keep everyone updated on his progress.
 

OwlLover

Alaskan Wanderer
8 Years
Aug 25, 2011
29,230
21
376
I don't have much advice for him, but I wish you luck!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom