HELP! Turkey poults refuse to eat, can I force feed them?

Measure the temperature at the bedding level. If the air temperature is 95°F, the bedding temperature is much hotter. They don't start going through a lot of food until they are older.
thank you. It has been a few years since I brooded chicks in doors. Now my broody hens do all the work. Somehow I thought babies eat like pigs and grow like piglets but maybe I am misremembering.

another one died :( they pick up bits of crumble and put it back down again, not eating it. same with the dried mealworms and egg yolk. 2 poults are eating live mealworms and being more active, 1 poult seems lethargic.

i moved them to a big chick brooder in the chicken coop. they are not scared any more. they peek over the top to watch the chickens eat but can't figure out chick crumble.

Last edited:
another one died :( they pick up bits of crumble and put it back down again, not eating it. same with the dried mealworms and egg yolk. 2 poults are eating live mealworms and being more active, 1 poult seems lethargic.

i moved them to a big chick brooder in the chicken coop. they are not scared any more. they peek over the top to watch the chickens eat but can't figure out chick crumble.
Have you checked to see if maybe they have pasty butt?
Just a thought.
Ducklings I've had with pasty butt don't want to eat.

Are they drinking?

Tractor supply have baby chicks but minimum purchase is 4 chicks. I don't want 4 more chicks right now.

The poults like dark corners so I covered the whole brooder with cardboard except a small crack. One is starting to pick at the food and water. Can anyone tell me how old they are based on feather development? I don't know what temperature they need right now. It looks like they have grown some wing feathers but they are soooo skinny.
Have some red bourbons also. Try mixing crumble for chickens and turkeys. Try a mash. White rocks from yard in the water dish. They seem to peck. I have a light and have brought it closer to the box as the turkeys like it warmer than chicks. Would suggest you call tractor supply and talk to the manager. Since is a rescue may sell you one chick. Have added chicks to my turkeys. Yours are about same age as mine. Are one to one 1/2 weeks old.

Seems it is expected to have a 5 percent death rate.
Dip beak in water dish to have them get idea. The white rock really seems to help on the water. Suggest getting a flat piece of brick at the brick retains warmth and maybe add that.
May be a bit warm if they are hovering in corner. When are cold go toward light, when are too hot hide from it. Check water not too warm too drink due to heater.

Back
Top Bottom