HELP! Turkeys with SWOLLEN FACES

Warrprincess688

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2011
Danvers MA
HI,
These are NOT my turkeys, I am helping someone out. He raises meat turkeys (white ). He has 3 pens of turkeys. One pen has severe puffy faces, swollen nostrils and a wicked cough.( pictures below) One pen is starting to get it and one pen is completely fine. He has kept chickens in with these turkeys but the chickens show no signs of being sick or any symptons. He also has pigs and geese very close to these turkeys. I was thinking MG but not sure. They dont have any nasty smell coming from there nose either.

I have had turkeys for many years and never seen this, but I think this earlier thread on BYC will give you the information needed: Looks like classic sinusitis.
Since your friend is raising for meat - I'm assuming christmas and thanksgiving, he may need to consider carefully the effects of eating meat that has been medicated. It makes me just hurt to look at them...... It might also be wise for him to see a poultry lab to see precisely what he is dealing with and if it is shedding into the dirt, air, or whatever. You are most kind to ask for him!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/292473/turkey-sinus-and-tylan-questions

Thanks for answering, I do chickens, not turkeys!! lol It was horrible to see these guys in person. Hes lost about 1 a week since they came down with whatever is wrong with them. He plans on slaughtering for thanksgiving but he wants to treat before.. If i saw those turkeys I wouldnt eat them even if they were free!

I'm sorry that he plans to medicate and then process. I'm very phobic of medicated and ill poultry consumption. You did your best and I still hope he will have a vet or the poultry lab review what's happening with his poultry. Again, you are a friend of poultry to try to get information to him.

. He's pretty sure that's what he has so he's going to treat with denagard. I don't think it'll be enough time to medicate and have a withdrawal period.

Back
Top Bottom