HELP!! Twin embryos in a Blue Silkie egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Carriedz, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Carriedz

Carriedz Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    California
    Day 14 of incubation of the Blue Silkie twin embryos. Very hard to Candle now. Dark where the chicks are and light where the yolks are, you can still see some veins and a little movement, so at least one is still alive.

I have decreased the humidity in the incubator. I have been at about 40 to 55 percent for the first 14 days, but hope less humidity 20 to 30 percent will give them a little more room and thin them out for the next 5 days. Any thoughts on this?? I am also thinking about keeping them rotating through day 20 since they will not be able to rotate themselves into a rotating pipping position. Thanks for any comments or suggestions!

2. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Hope all goes well with the hatch, could you imagine how small and adorable those twins will be? [​IMG]

3. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    I'd stay start preparing an area that you can heat and keep in high humidity so you can assist them with hatching. They're going to need help.

4. silkies4penny

silkies4penny Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2011
    Fayetteville, WV
    Im super interested in this hatch:) I would assume a batroom with a hot shower on would do the trick when the time comes:)

5. Alexia

Alexia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Southern California
    Please keep us updated. And good luck. I hope they both make it[​IMG]

6. thebanthams

thebanthams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2010
    Safford, Arizona
    Cool !! Please let us know how it goes. You never know you may have twins ! Its a good learning experience for all of us !.

7. Carriedz

Carriedz Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2012
    California
    First off thanks for all the support!! I am finding that since most double yolkers are culled therefore very little information on how to get these two little guys out, let alone out alive. As "silkies4penney" suggests, I'm planing on the bathroom with the shower running and a 100w red heat lamp over the area I am working in. It is day 15 and I have decided to run the incubator almost dry now 20 to 30 percent humidity for the next 3 days, as the incubator instructions advise low is better than high during the first 18 days. I am hoping for less moisture in the egg so less crowding, what do you guys think?

8. Snozzle

Snozzle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2011
    Tri-Cities Tennessee
    I hope these guys pull through. Go little twins, you can do eet!:fl

9. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    Good luck! I hope they both hatch out good! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by