HELP!! Twin embryos in a Blue Silkie egg

Hi there, i noticed this thread yesterday after i posted my own thread on. I have twins too. Mine are on day 14 today. Im rooting for your twins hun.. my twins heads are both at the large end of the egg can you tell me where yours are as ive been told 1 is normaly at the large end and the other one is at the small end? maybe mine just havnt turned yet.
fl.gif

Hi there, i noticed this thread yesterday after i posted my own thread on. I have twins too. Mine are on day 14 today. Im rooting for your twins hun.. my twins heads are both at the large end of the egg can you tell me where yours are as ive been told 1 is normaly at the large end and the other one is at the small end? maybe mine just havnt turned yet.
fl.gif

i wish u both the best of luck and u two are prob gina have to assist the hatch

Wow it's the year of the twin. Best luck to both of you. I am following this every day like this was my own hatch, very exciting. I hope you both have a double dose of peeps hopping around in a few days. If possible please take videos and pics, this will be very educational since there isn't much material on the subject :jumpy

Oh and Tracy what breed is your twin egg? Just wondering if it is more common in certain breeds then others.

Wow it's the year of the twin. Best luck to both of you. I am following this every day like this was my own hatch, very exciting. I hope you both have a double dose of peeps hopping around in a few days. If possible please take videos and pics, this will be very educational since there isn't much material on the subject
jumpy.gif

Oh and Tracy what breed is your twin egg? Just wondering if it is more common in certain breeds then others.

My twins are white star hen & silver Laces Wynadotte Cockeral. They are only 25 Weeks old so that might be why. Ive had double yokers off a lot of young pullets and never older ones.

I am on day 17 now and can only see shadows moving. If I candle at the large end I have very little of an air pocket. The whole egg is dark except for about 1/3 of the side of the egg that is heart shaped, with the large end being the top of the heart, I am assuming the light areas are where the yolks are. If I candle at the small end I see nothing. If I candle at the side, the embryo's will sometimes move and darken the lighter heart shaped area. Very hard to be patient, after this one, I do not think I will be so anxious for the single embryos. I am not sure but see most activity on the left side of the egg and not much on the right, may have lost one, and the movement is only because of the living one.
idunno.gif
I plan on helping them out 1 day early as they have little to no air pocket and since they are silkies the egg is very small. I only have the 2009 video to go by so will do my best to follow what "needmorechickens" did and hope for the best!

As you can see by the video it is very hard to candle the eggs now. The video did not pick up the heart shape of the separate yolks and embryos. I will continue to candle but probably not post another video until I try and help them out in 3 more days on Sunday. That will be day 20 for them and I am hoping they will have absorbed most if not all of the yolk sacks. My concern is that there is little air and room in the egg and they will just not be able to breath.

Last edited:
My hatching strategy is to keep humidity at 40 percent on Friday, up it to around 65 percent on Saturday, then try to hatch out on Sunday morning. That would be about 36 hours earlier than the 21 day mark. Not sure if this will help or not but I do not want them to die because the air pocket is to small or they are turned towards the small end.

On Sunday morning I will score a small hole at both ends and if no blood, remove as much of the shell, while wetting the membrane, to find the beak without disturbing the membrane. If one is alive I will open a little hole in the membrane to help it breath. Same if both are alive, then put them in a warmed baby wipe and back in the incubator to wait for the veins to dry up. I already have an extra brooder lamp so that the egg/chick/chicks will stay warm while I work in the bathroom with the shower running.

Does this sound appropriate? Any suggestions, comments, hints wold be helpful.
hu.gif

I just candled my silkies last night day 8 and I have what looks like 2 embryos in an egg.... I had 2 people witness this or else I would not have believe my eyes!! I will follow your progress closely and look again to make sure we really saw 2!!! I still don't believe it...

Good Luck!!!!

Quote:
Wow, seems to be the month for hatching twins! My Avatar is a picture of my two embryo's on day 9. Good luck to you
celebrate.gif
I know just what you are going to go through and the anticipation/excitement/dread all mixed together is very stressful
barnie.gif
. My husband is very practical and says I can't do anything until pipping anyway. I do know this and wish I could be that casual about it, especially since I may be very disappointed in the end. I must wait until they have absorbed their yolk sacks which is day 20 or they will die. So until Sunday, I hope they just stay alive until I can get them out.

Last edited:
Ive got my fingers crossed for you hun. Even said a little irish prayre my irish grandma used to say to wish us look..;). Im going to put my pictures on today. There not very good as theres 2 in there they seem to fill the whole egg...xx

Awe aaggijg welcome to the twin gang! Dont know whats going on with allthese chickens lol. I will keep checking on everyones progress xx

Back
Top Bottom