Help!!Two of my chickens suddenly start attacking each other

Tiffo

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2021
I have 3 ISA browns and they are all around 8 months old. Eliza, Erica and Heather.
Heather and Eliza has always been the closest and hang out together all the time. I have notice that recently Eliza has been hanging out with Erica instead.
yesterday, we notice that Eliza pecked on Heathers comb till it bleed and Heather fought back. We tried to seperate them. But we only got one coop they still sleeping together. This morning we tried to get up early letting them out, the minute they are out, Heather just can’t stop attacking Eliza!!!!! Eliza got scared trying to running away from her but she just complains loudly and follows Eliza wanting to attack her. I also found Eliza got multiple scars around her ears and comb, my poor girl.

we literally can’t leave them alone for a minute, they gonna start hurting each other. I’m so desperate and worriedヘ(;´Д`ヘ)

their coop is not big but they are free ranged during the day. It’s spring now and weather is not bad.I haven’t notice any symptom of sickness coz they are acting normal except for this.
I’m not sure what can be the cause for it. If it’s the pecking order thing I think it’s a too cruel(ノへ ̄、)
I can’t stay with them every minute of the day.

what should I do? I really don’t want see them hurting each other anymore. and they are gonna sleep in the same coop!!!! I’m so sad 😭

Hi there, put heather or eliza, whoever starts it, in time out for a few days, like in a dog kennel, it might knock her down a peg or two. They also could be sparing for top hen, so it could be a pecking order thing, nature is cruel and hens are apart of nature.
Rehome eliza or build a bigger coop, free ranging isn't a solution for not enough space.

Can you post pictures of them? How big is the coop? The pecking order can be pretty ugly. Is there any way you can separate the aggressive one for a few days?

Can you post pictures of them? How big is the coop? The pecking order can be pretty ugly. Is there any way you can separate the aggressive one for a few days?
D33567EB-125D-4A3F-B24B-D642083391C9.png
This is the coop im using.First time raise chickens. So I bought it online when the were babies(I’m not good with building things😥 and I have to work most of the days). my partner build them a run around 4*2*2(meters). (I’m working today so can’t take photo atm)
I can put a chicken in the house during the night but it might be too frustrating for her to not get to outside during the daytime. We don’t have any barrier in the backyard and it’s a pretty big and empty back yard. I don’t knowwhat ways can i seperate them for a whole day. I feel that locking one in the run is really cruel for her to watch her sisters out there playing.

Attachments

• 1BFC3D34-32E9-4C1A-BE1A-2718DE6241BD.jpeg
    1BFC3D34-32E9-4C1A-BE1A-2718DE6241BD.jpeg
    317.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 65DFCF96-F11E-40BE-9960-CB7C608E0674.jpeg
    65DFCF96-F11E-40BE-9960-CB7C608E0674.jpeg
    443.9 KB · Views: 2
Hi there, put heather or eliza, whoever starts it, in time out for a few days, like in a dog kennel, it might knock her down a peg or two. They also could be sparing for top hen, so it could be a pecking order thing, nature is cruel and hens are apart of nature.
Rehome eliza or build a bigger coop, free ranging isn't a solution for not enough space.
this is my first time raising chickens. Do they fight each other out of no reasons sometimes? Do they stop if I seperate them for a day or two?

the white tailed one is Eliza(who started it but ended up as the bullied one). and the other one is Heather(she is always loud and emotional)

this is my first time raising chickens. Do they fight each other out of no reasons sometimes? Do they stop if I seperate them for a day or two?
Chicken politics can be vicious and petty, it isn't unusual for them to fight. They usually figure it out though. You can seperate them for a few days or just let them figure it out.

Chicken politics can be vicious and petty, it isn't unusual for them to fight. They usually figure it out though. You can seperate them for a few days or just let them figure it out.
Some one told me chicken could fight till death……..that’s not true right? 😥😥

Some one told me chicken could fight till death……..that’s not true right? 😥😥
Not really, it can happen but usually in more aggressive chickens orjungle fowl breeds and it's more of a rooster trait.
You can get these thing called pinless peepers, they clip on to a chickens beak so they can't see well enough to peck at each other.

Back
Top Bottom