Help! Two pipped but no movement since last night!

Quote:
This is interesting, and probably something I will try if it seems like a hatch is taking awhile. How do you ensure your humidity stays in a safe range when you open the incubator to do this?

Quote:
Honestly, I don't pay attention to Humidity, never have, and I've been hatching for almost 4 months now. I jsut come up and check the pips every hour after I do this, to make sure they if they have made any progress or if they have pipped out, or if they are struggling to breathe or dead. In my last batch, I was told to quit doing this procedure, so I did. I wtched two eggs pip, and just left them to have nature have a turn with them. But, They came out, and died. Both of them. SO thats why I help them.Once I work with the eggs, I usually have the chicks laying in the egg, resting up to almost a day. If it has been 24 hour and the chick has made no progress, I go ahead and break the shell a little more. It takes a decent amount of skill to do this, because many problems could go wrong.
1.) The chick could come out a bit too early and die, for some odd reason, exhaustion I guess.
2.) Now this one is VERY important. If you help out the chick too early or too much, or if you cut aay at the membrane or cut/pull the chick out, you will dettach the umbilical cord and cause the chick to de of hemmorhaging. This is what happens to most chicks.
3.) You could accidentally cut the chick (If using clippers or scissors) And cause Bleeding.

The only thing I ever do with my humidity is mae sure the rings in the bottom of my bator stay full. I have a little giant bator, and there are rings in the bottom of it. I always have them halfway full. When it comes to the 18th day, I add more, an make sure that everyday the rings are full of water.

Many people may not approve of this (And I don't want negative feedback) But As soon as I see pips, I take my nail and scrape off the sheel that has been broken. Then, When I get down to the white membrane, I pierce it and peel it away until i can see the little beak. This way, he can breathe, and he doesn't spend all of that energy busting through the membrane. Then, I gently crunch the shell around the crack. This way the shell an membrane is more flexible. I have never lost a chick, While many other people that just sit there and let it do it itself have chicks that will die of exhaustion. Your not supposed to do it, but It always helps me, and the chicks come out healthy.
How do you do this when you’re not supposed to open incubator in lockdown mode? I’m curious because I am hatching my very first batch and one just pipped but no more movement and I’m getting worried so I’m trying to read up on things and came across this.

Back
Top Bottom