Help - Unattended Chicken Coop design and build

Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into this plan. But, I have to agree with the majority of folks, in that either you, or someone else, needs to be there on a more frequent basis. Murphy's law can strike in ways you never dreamed of. Falling limbs, moldy feed, contaminated water, these are among the more obvious problems. Also, the coop will need to be cleaned at the very least on a weekly basis. Poop will build up and release noxious fumes that can be deadly if not dealt with. Bacteria and disease can also run rampant if you allow them to live in unsanitary conditions. I mean, would you want to wade through piles of feces in your house? That can be viewed as neglect, which is a federal crime (if not state, as well). You say that you care about the animals, but you don't seem to be thinking OF them. I don't mean to offend, but I would not put animals anywhere if I couldn't check on them frequently. And I mean in person, not on cameras. Cameras are two dimensional, cold and impersonal. Sounds more like a cell block than a chicken coop.

Quote:
Except that it has some serious problems in terms of real-world implementation. There is a reason that type system is not generally used.

If hypothetically one was going to do that -- and I still think it's a terrible idea to try to use it for untended use -- IMO you'd be better off with a double system: recirculating water warmed underground to warm a jacketed reservoir whose actual drinking water comes from a tank that nothing flows back into. The main difficulty I see is that it would be pretty challenging, I think, to actually construct this system with the drinking-water reservoir and drinking area fully-enough jacketed by pipes of recirculated water. LIke I say, I am not actually *suggesting* this, but it would be an improvement at least, in the sense that you would only have whatever amount of fecal contamination you have of the drinking-water area, not of the whole drinking-water reservoir (which is much harder to clean/disinfect)

Pat

Sorry to be brutally honest, but you are not willing to put in the time to properly raise birds.

Build something like this if you really want a project like you are talking about.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=310729&p=1

You could rig a float valve to the waterer in case you don't get rain. You would need to design a feeder that fed from a 55 gallon barrel, which wouldn't be too hard.

After looking at what you want to do and the time you are willing to commit to this, if you were one of my close friends I'd tell you either work out a trade, eggs for checking on the birds, with a neighbor, or don't do it at all.

These animals aren't pets, but they need to have someone check on them on a regular basis. Anything else is bordering on neglect. If built, this would likely be one of those situations where a post would pop up about 3 months down the road where you are sobbing over the death of your birds.

I don't dress my birds up in skirts and hats, give them cute names, swim with them in my pool, or otherwise fall into the trap of anthropomorphism as it relates to my birds. I readily eat the birds I raise, but even so I treat my birds with care and respect every day.

This is one of those situations where you just need to be realistic with yourself. Best of luck.

Quote:
Rabbits are VERY different than chickens. As far as I can tell from the OP's posts, he/she hasn't had chickens yet. He/she came to this site for our experience. Our experience is saying for the most part this isn't a great idea.

Guineas are a bit different than chickens in that they are basically wild to begin with. My folks' town has a large flock of wild guineas living there and they have noone caring for them. Winter is trickier but as long as there is shelter, a water supply and feed dispensing, I think it is worth the try.

Gosh. Couldn't you work out something with neighbors- a barter system - checking on your place every two days or so in return for eggs and dinner out? Your high tech setup is interesting but nothing beats a real person checking the birds and place out.

Technology is great, but has one major flaw...it tends to fail from time to time, usually at the worst possible time. Computers crash, cars break down, batteries die. There is no substitute for proper tending and care given by a caring person.

Last edited:
Quote:
Not a good idea in my opinion. Too many variables. you are very likely too watch you birds be attacked and killed on your web cam. Varmits have a way of getting their food!

Back
Top Bottom