Help: under the weather chicken, possible crop issue?

Jun 4, 2019
Hello!

I’m long term reader but new to posting to BYC - gutted this has to be my first post.

I’ve 8 girls in total, 4 of them have been here 6 weeks and 4 of them joined us just over 2 weeks ago. All bought as POL but they all look young without a fully formed comb - no eggs from anyone yet...

One of my newer girls - Speedy (a Speckledy) has today been very under the weather. Usually when we open the door, they all come out together and free range the whole day. Today, Speedy didn’t come out, sat in her nest box all day and didn’t seem to eat anything.

I got her out and she didn’t want to eat, she moved slowly and drank a tiny amount. Then seemed to fall asleep on her feet until she walked back into her nest box.

I’ve massaged her crop, I’ve given her some water and a little vegetable oil (based on the recommendations from other threads) she then picked up a bit an ate a little.

She is now asleep again in the nest box.

If it’s a crop issue, am I doing the right thing? Could she be egg bound having never laid before? I can’t see anything else obviously wrong with her - no trauma, no redness, not being bullied by the others... the rest of the flock are happy as Larry!

Is there anything else you think I should do?

Thank you! And thank you in advance from Speedy.

Was her crop empty in the morning?
If not, How did it feel ?
Did you check her vent to see if she is egg bound?
Get a latex glove and apply some lubricant like k-Y jelly or Vaseline on the index finger and gently insert your index finger into her vent to see if there is a stuck egg.
Here’s an article on egg binding
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention.66978/

This may be a silly question, but can she be egg bound having never laid before?

She didn’t feel full this evening when I checked her over, and she perked up a little after she had a little water

Update on Speedy.

She came out this morning second in line, but having observed her, I think she is struggling to eat. She drank some water and after held her mouth open as if she was gagging on it... does this sound like a crop problem to you?

Took some advice from our breeder friend and now have her indoors in isolation. We are putting a water and oil solution into her every 3 to 4 hours and massaging her crop and her neck all over really.

Any other advice welcome, I’ve had Epsom Salts recommended to me too?

Update on Speedy.

She came out this morning second in line, but having observed her, I think she is struggling to eat. She drank some water and after held her mouth open as if she was gagging on it... does this sound like a crop problem to you?

Took some advice from our breeder friend and now have her indoors in isolation. We are putting a water and oil solution into her every 3 to 4 hours and massaging her crop and her neck all over really.

Any other advice welcome, I’ve had Epsom Salts recommended to me too?

Did you feel her crop ? Was it hard or squishy ?

Back
Top Bottom