Help understanding pecking order in my flock. Is this the right place to post?

Krichie82

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 9, 2014
Hi there. I've been observing "my" chickens and am interesting in understanding their pecking order. I'm not sure if this is the appropriate place to post this so I won't go in to it until I'm told so.

Go for it! You can figure out who your Alpha is by observing the interaction, especially when they are eating and going to roost. The Alpha will eat first, and you may see her lower her head over the bowl, and pause. She may do a low pitch growl, or just give the stink eye, and the other girls will back off. She'll be the first one to the treats. She may have a favorite buddy who she chums around with, and grants special favors to, while keeping the rest of the flock at a distance. She will choose the "best" roost, and not let anyone except her buddy roost beside her.

Go for it! You can figure out who your Alpha is by observing the interaction, especially when they are eating and going to roost. The Alpha will eat first, and you may see her lower her head over the bowl, and pause. She may do a low pitch growl, or just give the stink eye, and the other girls will back off. She'll be the first one to the treats. She may have a favorite buddy who she chums around with, and grants special favors to, while keeping the rest of the flock at a distance. She will choose the "best" roost, and not let anyone except her buddy roost beside her.
Good description!

I was wondering if anyone new if a rooster will show a pullet/hen how to lay her first egg? How to nest? That may be a completely odd question, but I read that in a post somewhere and now I can't find it.

These chickens aren't actually mine. They roam the property and belong to no one but I have enjoyed feeding them treats and they've rewarded me by laying eggs on my porch :) There are a total of ten hens and one rooster plus six new chicks. I think I know who the alpha is. She's a wild game (or so I've been told) bird. She's the one that the hatched chicks. While passing out treats I've noticed several things. The mother hen or "Henrietta" runs everyone off while her and her chicks are eating, except for the rooster. She and the chicks run from him. The rooster, who showed up out of nowhere, has been taking care of five smaller black australorp. He's so sweet. He won't eat until they've gotten their fill. He'll pick the food up and make a noise and drop the food and point at it with his beak. Just as the mother hen does with her chicks. He also lets "Barbara", an older, bigger, black australorp eat with him but he doesn't feed her (they roost together though). There are three other wild game birds who complain constantly and no one seems to include them. "Henrietta" seems to pick on "Barbara" the most but only when she's raising chicks, it seems. A few months ago, she lost all her babies to predators. I noticed once the babies were gone, she stopped being aggressive and at that point (this was before the rooster showed up) Barbara seemed to be the alpha.

My fiance gets mad at Henrietta for picking on Barbara because she's such a sweetheart. She's the only one the bunch that will come up to you and let you pet her. I try to tell him that there's a pecking order and he can't interfere. We just feel so bad for her cause you can tell her feelings get hurt more than anything. I just love having these guys around and I want to make sure that we're doing right by them.

I was wondering if anyone new if a rooster will show a pullet/hen how to lay her first egg? How to nest? That may be a completely odd question, but I read that in a post somewhere and now I can't find it.
I don't think they actually show them how, but I think I read somewhere that they may show them where.

Before my pullets started laying, i had one rooster who was very involved in the proceedings. He'd dig a hole in the shavings, climb in and make a great show of wiggling his butt around to get comfy... and make the tidbitting noise, while flinging shavings over his back. He was clearly inviting the pullets to put their eggs THERE!

Back
Top Bottom