Help updating store bought coop!?

Samyeager

In the Brooder
Aug 8, 2021
Indiana
I bought a coop from tractor supply I feel it’s to small for my chickens now that they have grown does anyone have any tips on making it bigger? I’m not the best handy man but I know some stuff lol. Also I let my chickens out every morning to free roam and they go back into the coop when it starts getting dark so I don’t really need a run. I have PLENTY of scrap wood I just don’t know where to start thank you!

Attachments

• 1E4F0668-6B9C-4FF7-A172-1D496AC2F7D7.jpeg
    1E4F0668-6B9C-4FF7-A172-1D496AC2F7D7.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 2591DDED-6B39-417D-A7EE-B857DC761C40.jpeg
    2591DDED-6B39-417D-A7EE-B857DC761C40.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 39D232E2-F096-4AA1-A82F-1A7CBCE8BA95.png
    39D232E2-F096-4AA1-A82F-1A7CBCE8BA95.png
    672.5 KB · Views: 20
It’s doable to rebuild as smiley-bans says. But…

Rebuilding this coop is not an easy thing to do imho. The laying nests are too high up if you lower the roosts. The roof has very little overhang and you need more ventilation under the roof. You need to do more than making walls , new roosts and a floor.

A better/easier possibility is to extend this coop with an attached sleeping area that fits you’re chickens needs. I did that with my coop when I extended my bantam flock.

this was my original coop:
F4B80AAB-A017-4101-8B0D-40A36282D8F0.jpeg

And here you can see the old coop repainted , with a bigger roof and the extension on the right with lots of ventilaton and a glass window in front.
06E88983-7BE0-4340-A18C-F609C4548B8C.jpeg

Another possibility is to keep this one for the future if you have to quarantine a sick chicken or new chickens on the block. Or if you have a broody and want to let her hatch some fertilised eggs. And make a new coop for this flock.

Look at a few plans to build a coop in the article section and make a pick. Starting from scratch is probably a little more work but you can create a better coop that way. Or buy a small shed or a playhouse for kids in the right size and adjust that. Playhouses are often sold secondhand for a a good prize.

Too many choices. 🤣Good luck!

I bought a coop from tractor supply I feel it’s to small for my chickens now that they have grown does anyone have any tips on making it bigger? I’m not the best handy man but I know some stuff lol. Also I let my chickens out every morning to free roam and they go back into the coop when it starts getting dark so I don’t really need a run. I have PLENTY of scrap wood I just don’t know where to start thank you!
P.S. digging predators have easy access to the coop. If you add pavers around the coop it’ll be a lot safer.

P.S.2 My initial coop is made of wood. You’re metal frame makes it harder to adjust the coop or to attach a wooden frame.

Also I let my chickens out every morning to free roam and they go back into the coop when it starts getting dark so I don’t really need a run.
But where will they go when the snow flies?
That's so tiny for them.

Do you have any other outdoor structures you convert into a coop? Or even find someone selling or giving away an old shed you could convert?

I'm sorry I'm not much help in the "how to make this work" department. IMO no matter what you do, that coop just isn't going to cut it for the number of birds you have.

ETA: what major city in Indiana are you near?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, these tiny coops are very difficult to remodel into something more suitable. Do you think you are up to building a simple structure?

How many chickens do you have?

According to the Usual Guidelines, each adult, standard-sized hen needs:

4 square feet in the coop,
10 square feet in the run (and you will need either a covered run or a HUGE coop for winter because chickens don't like to go out in the snow),
1 linear foot of roost,
1/4 of a nest box,
And 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation -- best located over the chickens' heads when they're sitting on the roost.

We have this exact coop for what we call our "nursery" flocks. We had to make cutouts in the sides at the top and cover in hardware cloth for ventilation. It was an oven in there!! And we raising the roof cap as well. It allows more air flow but still keeps out the rain. It's great for growing out our babies but not much else honestly. It's really tiny inside for full sized chickens. Bantams might would be a better fit I think.

Just my opinion!😊

Attachments

• 20210728_131443.jpg
    20210728_131443.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 20210628_070157.jpg
    20210628_070157.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 20
Unfortunately, these tiny coops are very difficult to remodel into something more suitable. Do you think you are up to building a simple structure?

How many chickens do you have?

According to the Usual Guidelines, each adult, standard-sized hen needs:

4 square feet in the coop,
10 square feet in the run (and you will need either a covered run or a HUGE coop for winter because chickens don't like to go out in the snow),
1 linear foot of roost,
1/4 of a nest box,
And 1 square foot of permanent, 24/7/365 ventilation -- best located over the chickens' heads when they're sitting on the roost.
Before I had a covered run built, my chickens went out in the snow. I shoveled paths for them if it was too deep. I also made a nice cozy area under their coop that blocked wind and most snow.
Now I have a huge covered run and guess what? The snow just blows in sideways. So, I still shovel paths and have cozy areas inside. But, they still venture around in the snow. They can go inside the coop anytime they choose and choose to be out in the inclement weather. I must have hardy birds. 😁

Back
Top Bottom