Help! Upper respiratory???

By "sick again" do you mean the same symptoms, exactly? Or are the combs pale and otherwise they're good?

It might just be that the seasonal change is stressing them out, and they are therefore looking a bit off. If you have raw, local honey you can try adding 2tbs/gallon of water and raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar at the same amount. The honey is a old style antibiotic, and the acv is a probiotic, so *if* it's just some stress, that'll help. I also add nutri-drench to my birds' water if I think they might be getting sick. IDK what Canada has, or if you can get that kind of thing there.
Yes. The few that were sick in the flock started to get better. Combs were back to red. Very little coughing. Sneezing. You could hear less wheezing and rattling when they breathe. I was hopeful. Then 2 days ago I noticed that now all of them.are back to the sneezing. Hacking. Rattling . Wheezing. Very pale combs. To me it sounds like Infectious Bronchitis. Same sounds a person would make trying to breathe. The weather here has been hot, cold, freezing, Rain, hot. So up and down. I do have honey and acv. I do have cephlaxin. I don't know if it'll help and I don't see a dosage for small flocks.

Yes. The few that were sick in the flock started to get better. Combs were back to red. Very little coughing. Sneezing. You could hear less wheezing and rattling when they breathe. I was hopeful. Then 2 days ago I noticed that now all of them.are back to the sneezing. Hacking. Rattling . Wheezing. Very pale combs. To me it sounds like Infectious Bronchitis. Same sounds a person would make trying to breathe. The weather here has been hot, cold, freezing, Rain, hot. So up and down. I do have honey and acv. I do have cephlaxin. I don't know if it'll help and I don't see a dosage for small flocks.
I have 1 girl that seems a little sluggish. Not herself. The wyandottes are the ones that were originally infected. So it's been a month of this. I'm thinking also the worming could have put their immune systems down even more so. 🤔 😫

My chickens had what I thought was infectious bronchitis. Sneezing every few minutes and congestion are common. It lasts in each bird around a month, but it spreads through the whole flock eventually. Some hens may lay eggs with wrinkled shells. They are carriers for about 5 months to a year after recovering. Antibiotics do not help viruses. If it is MG that you are seeing, they may develop bubbles or foam in an eye, face or eyelid swelling, and are carriers for life.

I would close your flock. Amoxicillin or cephalosporins usually won’t treat respiratory diseases in chickens, but Tylan (tylosin) can. Your regular vet could sell you the powder for their water if you think it is MG, or you could get testing.

My chickens had what I thought was infectious bronchitis. Sneezing every few minutes and congestion are common. It lasts in each bird around a month, but it spreads through the whole flock eventually. Some hens may lay eggs with wrinkled shells. They are carriers for about 5 months to a year after recovering. Antibiotics do not help viruses. If it is MG that you are seeing, they may develop bubbles or foam in an eye, face or eyelid swelling, and are carriers for life.

I would close your flock. Amoxicillin or cephalosporins usually won’t treat respiratory diseases in chickens, but Tylan (tylosin) can. Your regular vet could sell you the powder for their water if you think it is MG, or you could get testing.
Hello. I don't think it's MG. They do not have foam/bubbles in the eyes. Some very slight slight swelling. I'll try and gets pics today.

Here in canada. It is very hard to obtain medicine even for farm animals unless it's de wormer. I'd have to go to a vet.
Yeah, we have vet supply stores down here. If it's the same symptoms that keep repeating and they aren't getting over it, I'd suggest a vet. You might have CRD.... And it'd probably be better to know for sure than not. I'm sorry, I wish I knew more and could help.

Yeah, we have vet supply stores down here. If it's the same symptoms that keep repeating and they aren't getting over it, I'd suggest a vet. You might have CRD.... And it'd probably be better to know for sure than not. I'm sorry, I wish I knew more and could help.

Attachments

• 20230415_095136.jpg
    20230415_095136.jpg
    572.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230415_095119.jpg
    20230415_095119.jpg
    812 KB · Views: 3
Well their combs are not pale pink white like they were yesterday. You can notice slight swelling . Yes. Here there is nothing everything is vet. I may have to go in if there is no improvement and take one to see what it could be.

Well their combs are not pale pink white like they were yesterday. You can notice slight swelling . Yes. Here there is nothing everything is vet. I may have to go in if there is no improvement and take one to see what it could be.
Yeah, if it's not super urgent, I try the home remedy stuff first. If they don't improve, I don't know what else you can do except take one to the vet.
Keep us updated?
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom