Help! very hurt chicken

image.jpg

Ouch! Clean the area very well. Keep it moist with original neosporin. Then spray Blu-Kote on the area to begin the healing process and prevent pecking from flock mates. Was that a predator attack? Your sweet chicken is also probably in shock. Give her a boost of vitamins and electrolytes as well. Chickens heal extremely well if provided with good care. Best of luck! Keep us posted on her progress.

Just cleaned the wound and noticed I could see her scull

I saw someone with a chick in similar shape. As bad is it was they did a treatment regimen like chick-n-fun mentioned and the chick recovered fine. The injury to the one I saw was caused by older hens attacking the chick. They will do that sometimes. Also on a side note, peroxide can be good for original cleaning of wounds but don't use it regularly bc it can actually slow new tissue growth so be careful with it. Good luck.

Greetings brettp36,

It appears that your hen was cannibalized by one or more of the flock members. I have seen this before, when one of the higher members in the pecking order decides she does not want a certain hen in the group. She will start to chase, then peck the lower hen, in an effort to drive her away. Of course if the chickens are penned up, there is no way for the victimized chicken to escape. Other members join in as followers.

You should not put the injured hen back until she has started to heal. In the mean time, you need to identify the culprit(s).

Sometimes, once the victimized hen is no longer in the picture, the aggressive hen will seek another hen to terrorize.

Solution?

Once you identify to the aggressor, you can:

a. Put her in chicken jail. (Another pen or dog crate in the run, for a few days, and every time the chicken attacks other hens.)
b. Put a hen saddle with wing protectors on the aggressor, and a regular saddle on the victim, both with identical fabric. This is something I have had success with.
c. Examine the aggressor for illness, injury, fly strike, diarrhea etc. Some hens will act out with aggression when in pain. You should do this, before doing a. or b.

There is a possibility you may not be able to reintegrate the victimized hen. She should also be examined for disease. Sometimes a members of a flock will drive off a sick individual, in an effort to protect the flock from weakness or disease.

These are my thoughts on your hen's issue. I hope I have been helpful.

God Bless :)

Back
Top Bottom