HELP!! Very Strange Problem!! :-(

dgeter

Songster
11 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Colorado
My Coop
My Coop
A few weeks ago, i started noticing my silkie roo was drinking a ton of water. It seemed to just keep getting worse. Well today I went out to check on him, and it appears that he's drank so much that its literally coming back out.. You can see it coming out of the edges of his mouth, bubbles are coming out of his tear ducks, and when he breathed through his nose it was all gurgly..

I'm panicking because my vet office is already closed for the weekend.

Does anyone know what this is??

Last edited:
Yes it is!!
sad.png
Its been a rough couple of months for my chickens. I just got over some eye infections, ear infections, and mites. UGH!

Have you been into the archives to see if there is anything there that might help with this? also I guess you have been giving antibiotics> if so have you been giving them probiotics to help get their digestive track working good? I'll go look too and see if I can come up with something, sorry ya'll have had a rough go lately.

The chickens with the infections have been getting eye drops. He didn't have an infection though. I have searched for past posts but didn't come up with anything. I don't really know what to search for though.. "chicken drinking too much"? haha

I just searched too and didn't come up with anything. sure hope some more experienced BYCers get her soon to help ya. I have never heard of this before, most of the time it's trying to get a chicken to drink some water. I will subscribe so I can keep up with what you find out.

If you have not quarantined him you should do so immediately.

1. You don't say whether or not he is eating and pooping. Is he?

2. What have you been feeding him? Anything other than commercial feed, such as grains, grasses or scraps.

3. Do you have constant supply of insoluble grit? I know all the books say that commercial feed has enough for them but this is not in addition to scratch and grasses they may eat.

4. Any smelly breath or otherwise?

5. If he is pooping what does it look like?

6. How is his mood? Up and about or just sitting?

If you are giving him anything other than commercial feed stop for the time being. Don't give him any meds unless or until you have some idea what it may be. Don't give him vitamins either.

Keep us posted.

Rancher

Back
Top Bottom