Help! Vet said not an egg

Mama Hen AWM

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 29, 2018
Have a hen that I thought was egg bound. Took her to the vet, the x-ray below is what vet found. Vet said does not look like an egg. Posted to a "vet" sight for other input, and very few responses. The few responses did suggest cancer. Hen is not acting like a "sick" chicken. She has not isolated herself. When I isolated her, she got stressed. I have soaked Epsom salt, added lube about 10 plus times in 48 hrs ish. Hen is squatting and trying to push out obstruction. She has ooze/gleet coming from her vent. There is nothing I can see to grab. Vet suggested sedate to do further exploration, but vet and I know they don't do well with sudation. Vet isn't certified in area of chickens. Just trying to help. Vet has backyard chickens as well. I want to humanely take care of my pet, but want to give her all the chances I can as well. Please help!

2.jpg

Thank you for your input! I will try suggestions! I really do appreciate all of the help!

Is this a result of mainly sand in the run? I do not let them free range due to living in the country and too many predators--mainly have bantams, but this is a polish hen. I give them lots of greens, bugs to help supplement what they are not getting from free ranging. I have had them in this run since 2020. If I lose this hen, this will make 3 that I've lot this year without knowing what it is that's killing them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom