HELP! Vomiting chicken!

This morning her crop was full of water, so we massaged it and tipped her over so the liquid would come out. However, we've been advised against it by the vet.
Good advice there.....so stop doing that, you might drown her.

Did she poop overnight?
No use in giving any wormer unless her crop is moving.

Where are you located in the world?

Can you get a better photo of her eye? Does she have respiratory illness as well?
Any lesions/yellow-white pasty material inside the beak?

So is it also a thiamine blocker? So confused 🤔 lol
Folic acid antagonists include the sulfonamides, 2,4-diaminopyrimidines, and ethopabate. These compounds are structural antagonists of folic acid or of para-aminobenzoic acid (PABA), which is a precursor of folic acid. (The host does not synthesize folic acid and has no requirement for PABA.) Coccidia rapidly synthesize nucleic acids, accounting for activity of PABA antagonists. Although resistance to antifolate compounds is widespread, they are commonly used for water treatment when clinical signs are already evident. Diaveridine, ormetoprim, and pyrimethamine are active against the protozoan enzyme dihydrofolate reductase. They have synergistic activity with sulfonamides and often are used in mixtures with these compounds.

I apologize, I guess I am not familiar with that form of antibiotic or why it would work on a parasite
Sulfa based antibiotics inhibit folic acid synthesis. Corid inhibits the uptake of thiamine. By limiting these necessary 'nutrients' so to speak, the parasite or, in humans, the susceptible bactria is starved. These drugs do not destroy bacteria or parasites but they eliminate the necessary components needed for them to thrive.
I'm no avian pro by any means, but in humans secondary bacterial infections occur as a result of viral, parasitic infections. Perhaps this is why the vet prescribed it.

Sulfa based antibiotics inhibit folic acid synthesis. Corid inhibits the uptake of thiamine. By limiting these necessary 'nutrients' so to speak, the parasite or, in humans, the susceptible bactria is starved. These drugs do not destroy bacteria or parasites but they eliminate the necessary components needed for them to thrive.
I'm no avian pro by any means, but in humans secondary bacterial infections occur as a result of viral, parasitic infections. Perhaps this is why the vet prescribed it.
Got it! Thank you for the detailed response.

Back
Top Bottom