Help w fist incubation of Duck eggs

vlapinta

Songster
9 Years
Mar 1, 2010
Toms River NJ
I am going to start my first incubation of duck eggs soon so I wanted to know if I should use the egg turner I purchased with the Genesis HavoBater I just bought? I read somewhere, on one of these forums, that they didn't have luck with that kind of turner and I wanted to get opinions before I start. Should I mist the eggs or will the humidity be OK if I keep it at the correct level? I also read about letting the eggs cool a little each day (call ducks eggs) Has anyone heard of doing this? Any other help would always be appreciated for a beginner. I am doing this with my 16 year old daughter Jaime.

Kindest Regards,
Vicki

Hi and welcome to BYC!

I have successfully incubated standard ducks using the handturning method and spritzing with water. I would leave the bator open for a few moments while I turned and spritzed which cooled it off pretty significantly twice per day. Spritzing only once.

Happy Hatching!

Hi Vicki, I have always used the auto turners,I also mist them at least 3 times a day,I try to keep the water tray full, Im in FL so I never worry with humidity levels with this method .I am a firm believer in misting the eggs 3 to 8 times a day if possible. This has helped me hatch several species of wild waterfowl without the mother ever having to set on them the first week. Before misting so much it NEVER could be done without mom setting for 7 to 10 days. again this is what works perfectly for me for here. GOOD LUCK :)Hope you have a great hatch!

Destinduck do you use a hygrometer to measure the humidity level? What % humidity do you run it on?
By misting I am assuming you just spray water with a regular spray bottle? I am trying to get everything straight in my mind before I start. Any other hints are always appreciated!
smile.png

Kindest Regards,
Vicki

no hydrometer so no % yes reg spray bottle.again this works for me in n. florida. I dont know what state your in so humidities can vary . I also have heard people say they dont like the auto turners on here,but ask any one that has been doing hatching for many years what they use .Everyone I know has them because they never forget to turn the eggs(unless power goes off).I just dont see any downside for a auto turner. If you have a hydrometer you will have to get some input from somebody near your zone. BTW momma call ducks are pretty good setters themselves but Im like you I have to incubate some extra for some friends.
lol.png

I would definitely use a hygrometer. They are so cheap at places like Wal-Mart, I would highly recommend it especially when you are just figuring out the correct levels for your incubator. I have used various incubators, humidity/temp. levels, and turning methods over the years. I also monitor weight loss (with a gram scale) and air cell size. In my area (very dry here), I have to keep the incubator pretty much full of water. I generally keep the humidity at 55%-65% for the first 25 days and then bump it up to about 85% depending on how the eggs look and the weights.

I haven't consistently used spraying of the eggs or cool down, but will probably try it more at some point (although, I did read one study that showed that eggs that are sprayed dehydrate MORE, not less, will have to see if I can find it, but seeing how water is polar that might make sense). I do spritz mine generally every couple days and they do get to cool down every five days or so when I weigh them. I have recently tried doing a hatch where I only did hand turning, with no use of an auto turner. For the first time in I don't know how long, I had 100% development. Again though, some depends on where you are and the incubator. I have always had better luck with incubators that roll the eggs, not tilt them. When we lived in TX, we also had MUCH higher hatch rates. Here in CO, it is just so dry and also harder to hatch at high elevation.

Back
Top Bottom