Help - week old, without heat, yellow runny poo

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by silkhope, Nov 9, 2007.

1. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    I have a silkie, hatched not quite a week ago, last weekend some time (someone else hatched them for me). Our power went out today while I was at work, they were without heat for quite some time and the heat lamp blew when it returned on (I assume because it was out when I got home and the light was off). I fixed that issue, but poor little one is weak and as of a few minutes ago there's yellow/greenish (almost yolk type) poo seeping out of her rear. Little drops just keep coming out. I've washed her bottom, she's warm and by herself. Please let me know what this is and what I can do for her??? She has drank and eaten a little since I've been home with her.

TIA!
    Ashley

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Oh no! Im so sorry...I dont know what to say here....just keep her warm...and make sure she is drinking..and eating. I hope someone with more experience helps soon! I will send up a little prayer...keep us posted, I hope she recovers!

3. Kitsune

Kitsune Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Manchester - England
    Keep her warm, if you can feed her some scrambled egg yolk that will give her a good protein boost - there really isn't that much you can do since it's an internal problem - could be a ruptured yolk sac inside or could be some other intestinal problem - just keep her warm and don't force anything down her, keep her stress levels to a minimum and cross your fingers!

*make sure she isn't too warm as that will also cause stress to her system, a little cool of optimal is better at this age than a little too warm.

4. silkhope

silkhope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2007
    Pittsboro, NC
    Thanks Deb and Kitsune - and those on chat last night too! Chat froze on me and I couldn't get back on [​IMG]

She made it thru the night thankfully. That yellow goop was just disturbing!!! It looked just like yolk, but more of a mustard color and it just kept seeping. Ick!

She has a box mate to keep her company and snuggle - another splayed leg that isn't too pushy.

Keep your fingers crossed for her! She seems to be a fighter...

Ashley

5. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Good to hear she's made it this far. Hoping that she pulls through the rest of the way!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by