HELP!? Weird egg/object was laid

nadiamaria3

Chirping
Jul 18, 2018
I had something weird happen today, that’s never happened before with my hens.
I’m not new to chickens but, I wouldn’t say I’m an expert either, Im sure there’s a ton I haven’t learned yet. I’ve had chickens for 6 years now & have never have had any issues w/ my hens & their eggs, until tonight.
I went out to their coop tonight to check on things & noticed one hen was sitting on an egg. The one egg I saw (to her side)was perfectly fine & then directly under her was a mess. It was definitely NOT just a regular broken egg. This egg looked like it melted (best way to explain what I saw). This egg was very soft, as if it melted but, the odd thing, was that there was yolk/egg white & then there was also a white semi-hard oblong object - about 2-3 inches long & about an inch in diameter.
Does anyone know what this is & or what could have caused it? This happened to my 3 year old hen.

Do an on site search on 'lash egg' and see if that was what you saw.
Do an on site search on 'lash egg' and see if that was what you saw.
Just did, it definitely could have been that. I thought it was weird to have the yolk & egg white there too but, from the pictures I saw, that’s looks to happen that way too w/ lash eggs.
Any ideas on how to treat it, if at all?

Just did, it definitely could have been that. I thought it was weird to have the yolk & egg white there too but, from the pictures I saw, that’s looks to happen that way too w/ lash eggs.
Any ideas on how to treat it, if at all?
Unfortunately, by the time you seelash material, the infection is raging and too advanced to treat. You can try antibiotics, though, like Baytril. See if that helps.

Search "baytril no prescription," and you should find a few different sources.

I hope it helps, but it's usually a sign that the hen needs palliative care. I'm sorry... I've lost 3 hens over the years to reproductive infections. It is awful.

I have a bird that's laid 2 lash eggs the last 2 years, and she's still around. This is the link I refer to for dosage info for enrofloxacin: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lash-egg.1441042/#post-23895564 Note that this only treats bacterial and not viral salpingitis (no treatment for viral), but if it's a bird you like it may be worth trying to treat it.

I have a bird that's laid 2 lash eggs the last 2 years, and she's still around. This is the link I refer to for dosage info for enrofloxacin: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/lash-egg.1441042/#post-23895564 Note that this only treats bacterial and not viral salpingitis (no treatment for viral), but if it's a bird you like it may be worth trying to treat it.
That's great to hear, Rosemary! Gives me hope. I've never had luck treating it. I hope you do, @nadiamaria3!

Unfortunately, by the time you seelash material, the infection is raging and too advanced to treat. You can try antibiotics, though, like Baytril. See if that helps.

I hope it helps, but it's usually a sign that the hen needs palliative care. I'm sorry... I've lost 3 hens over the years to reproductive infections. It is awful.

Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom