Help! Weird growth, extra nail, or splinter on chick foot.

RandomChickPets

Hatching
7 Years
Dec 30, 2012

The baby chick (1 week old) is not walking very much and is pecking at this spot. Could it be a splinter? Is it an extra toe nail perhaps? I love this bird and would appreciate any advice. Should I quarantine her until I can get her to a vet? When she is alone, she chirps allot.

What type of chick is it? Is the thing in question attached or does it look like it is pushed under the skin? What type of bedding was used- could give an idea if something that wasn't supposed to be in the bedding poked the foot.

Maybe get a magnifing glass to take a really close look at that. The picture makes it very hard to see, but I am leaning towards a splinter too.
If you touch it, does the chick flinch?
If it is indeed a splinter and you decide to remove it, have some antibiotic creme to put in the hole.....hope this helps..

I've read in a magazine that people can remove rooster spurs by gripping with needlenose pliers and twisting with a slight tug, not hurting roo. I believe it's a splinter just in case it isn't then the spur info should make u feel better about what I'd do- disinfect it, grab some tweezers and pull it out. Put antibiotic salve on it for a few days and give chick a boost with save-a-chic in the water for the stress. Whatever it is it is obviously causing pain. If you didn't notice it until now, probably splinter. Hope this helps.

The chick is WAAAY too young to have a spur. And the spur would be farther up on the leg.
Now I am thinking about another possibility...a blood feather maybe???? The OP hasn't responded yet, I hope they do.....lol

Didn't insinuate that it was a spur in the pic, just that if it is something like an extra toe (or a blood feather-great idea by the way:)) then according to the article I read it supposedly doesn't hurt the roo (or chick in this case) to pull it in the same manner. Tell us what u decided to do Randomchickpets

I plucked the object out yesterday. It was soft and hallow. I don't believe it is a birth defect anymore or splinter. I think it may have been an ingrown feather. The type of chicken has feathers on her feet. It did not bleed, but she is still nursing her foot and is a bit gimpy. I hope she makes a full recovery.

If u don't have the spray handy grab some regular old people antibiotic from your med cabinet and dab a bit on it. Since it didn't bleed and it was something hollow I agree it was probably a feather. Hope your chickie feels better!

Back
Top Bottom