Help! What’s going on with this “Brown Leghorn”?

Nashville Hen Mom

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 21, 2017
Nashville, TN
For the past month and a half, our Brown Leghorn, Ruth, has been broody in a nesting box along with one of our Black Australorps. She shows all the classic signs of broodiness: puffing and fluffing feathers, sitting on the eggless nest (no rooster), not wanting to be touched, and pacing around the coop when she is not allowed in.

Over the last few weeks, Ruth’s comb has turned pale and floppy (see photo for comparison with her typical comb). She eats and drinks fine and is showing signs of ending this foolishness by coming out more often and foraging more. Recently though, there have been small brown feathers in the box she occupies with her best friend and that adds to my concern about her sad-looking comb. It seems early for a molt, as she is only 15 months old.

Ruth’s broodiness is uncharacteristic of her breed and she lays very pale, but still brown eggs instead of white ones. Besides being concerned about her health, I am now starting to wonder about her breed. She looks just like the pictures of Brown Leghorns that I’ve seen and her usually curious and active attitude are in line with the breed.

Any thoughts or ideas? Should we look for other signs of something that could be wrong? If there is something we need to do to help her out, please advise.

Attachments

• 426774A4-F8E5-42EF-B854-9CFCD55D18DE.jpeg
    426774A4-F8E5-42EF-B854-9CFCD55D18DE.jpeg
    315.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 7EF93E9D-52DA-4871-A6C1-D81F93522436.jpeg
    7EF93E9D-52DA-4871-A6C1-D81F93522436.jpeg
    461.4 KB · Views: 7
Two of my girls started molting at 11 months?🤷🏽‍♀️ So maybe it is just a molt? I have heard (and experienced) that molts follow broodiness!😉

Two of my girls started molting at 11 months?🤷🏽‍♀️ So maybe it is just a molt? I have heard (and experienced) that molts follow broodiness!😉
That’s reassuring as really, that would be the best ending to this situation. Hopefully, that is what it is. It’s been so hot here, I wouldn’t be surprised to see such things happening at strange times.

She is pale, losing feathers and starting to molt because she has been broody, and it is that time of year. Molting the first time usually takes place around 16-18 months, but she is probably doing it early due to her broody spell. She is probably fine, but just make sure that she is eating some and drinking.

She is pale, losing feathers and starting to molt because she has been broody, and it is that time of year. Molting the first time usually takes place around 16-18 months, but she is probably doing it early due to her broody spell. She is probably fine, but just make sure that she is eating some and drinking.
She has been drinking and eating like crazy—almost too much. Prior to this, she was often pushed away from the feeder by the other birds, but now that she has her new best friend, the other birds are leaving her alone. Thanks for your reassurance!

Back
Top Bottom