Help!!! What’s wrong with my chicken?!

I’ve raised chickens for about 2 years now, this being my second year. I’ve ran through some problems but have gotten this taken care of. I’d like to know what’s going on with my chicken! The feathers on her butt look rotten or wet or something I don’t have a clue what’s wrong with her it could be mites or something idk! I was thinking about getting a closer look but it weirded me out and I just couldn’t do it. Can someone help!? She’s the only one with feathers like that below the wings to. Maybe I should mix a sand box with diamatacious earth for them to bathe in? (However you spell it)

Attachments

• 72A846F5-343D-44D8-84A4-BC084E01BFA2.jpeg
    72A846F5-343D-44D8-84A4-BC084E01BFA2.jpeg
    599 KB · Views: 14
  • CB3DD360-CE10-443B-B419-755987CA2D52.jpeg
    CB3DD360-CE10-443B-B419-755987CA2D52.jpeg
    459.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 1F1C5584-BF0A-4A90-9234-8948220D49BB.jpeg
    1F1C5584-BF0A-4A90-9234-8948220D49BB.jpeg
    428.5 KB · Views: 13
There's no other way to discover clues to what's causing that filthy spectacle other than gloving up and sticking a clothespin on your nose, if that helps, and looking at what's above and under her feathers.

It may just be accumulated poop from being under a perch at night instead of on the perch and not having a dirt bathing area to clean herself. (Yes, dirt bathing is essential for chicken health.) Or it could be from a severe wound that has been bleeding and festering and doing its best to heal without cleaning and treatment.

You'll need to find out which it is. We aren't able to handle her from out here on the internet.

By the way, DE by itself is hazardous to respiratory systems, yours included. If you feel you must use it, dilute it with a lot of sand or dirt for a dirt bath, which, as I mentioned, is essential for chicken health.

There's no other way to discover clues to what's causing that filthy spectacle other than gloving up and sticking a clothespin on your nose, if that helps, and looking at what's above and under her feathers.

It may just be accumulated poop from being under a perch at night instead of on the perch and not having a dirt bathing area to clean herself. (Yes, dirt bathing is essential for chicken health.) Or it could be from a severe wound that has been bleeding and festering and doing its best to heal without cleaning and treatment.

You'll need to find out which it is. We aren't able to handle her from out here on the internet.

By the way, DE by itself is hazardous to respiratory systems, yours included. If you feel you must use it, dilute it with a lot of sand or dirt for a dirt bath, which, as I mentioned, is essential for chicken health.
Thank you. I have a dust bathing place. Thanks for all the help. If it’s poop should I hose her down or what? Now for the hard part - catching the speed devil..

Update. I’ve checked her over outside and the issue began to get better on its own while I was letting them out of the run to free range. I looked her over and there were no wounds I could see. I checked all around her legs, her duct, under her wings.. I think it’s just too much moisture. She was probably the chicken that was sleeping in the nesting box and was sitting on a pile of poo that she made (I did clean it each night). So I think she just needs to stay away from moisture. I’ll keep an eye on it, maybe add some dry powdery peat moss to the inside floor of the coup if you think that would be a good idea? Probably unnecessary but doesn’t hurt to ask.

Peat moss is a great dirt bathing medium. But it's more effective if you provide a "bowl" type container for it so it's not scattered, rendering it useless as a dirt bath. It would be like you and I trying to bathe in a puddle.

Dirt bathing is a social event for chickens. They like to snuggle in the dirt and be very close while they "soak" in the lovely dry, loose dirt, becoming half buried in the process. For chickens, a good dirt bath is about as close as they come to nirvana.

Peat moss is a great dirt bathing medium. But it's more effective if you provide a "bowl" type container for it so it's not scattered, rendering it useless as a dirt bath. It would be like you and I trying to bathe in a puddle.

Dirt bathing is a social event for chickens. They like to snuggle in the dirt and be very close while they "soak" in the lovely dry, loose dirt, becoming half buried in the process. For chickens, a good dirt bath is about as close as they come to nirvana.
Thanks for all the helpful tips!

Back
Top Bottom