Help! What are they doing?!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenPeep, Nov 13, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I have 11 chicks that are 3 weeks old.

I was in bed this morning trying to get some sleep. I kept hearing the chicks downsatirs yelling and running around in their cage. I was trying to ignore it but it was bothering me so i went down to check on them. When i got to the cage, all but two of them were huddled on the corner and the other two were in the middle of the cage, FIGHTING!! Well at least that's what it looked like. They would get close to eatchother, kinda cross their necks over eactother's and pull at their fluff. WHAT"S GOING ON?!? I immediately took the largest one out. After a few seconds i put him back in, just to see what happened. They went at it AGAIN!! That weird crossing neck thing! [​IMG] So i took the same one out again. I was planning on just letting him run around on the floor, but then the other chick waltzed over to another chick and started doing it again!!! [​IMG] So i took them both out, and they are sleeping on my lap while i write this. I don't hear any activity in the cage now.
    What were they doing?! I know this is probably rooster behavior. I don't know if i should put them back in or not. Has this happened to you before?
    HELP! [​IMG]

2. gamelife

gamelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2011
    California
    I hate it when that happens. What breed are they?
    Are they confined to a small space?

3. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    They are some kind of silkie. One is just plain grey/black and the other is grey/black and has some orange feathers coming in.
    No, i wouldn't consider their space small. They got out to play in the grass yeterday.

4. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Oh, i have another question. Will they try to kill? I know that's probably a stupid Q becasue they're just chicks. [​IMG]

5. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

They are establishing their pecking order. It is normal.

6. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    But ther're actually fighting. [​IMG]

7. Cackling Hen

Cackling Hen Just Scratching Around

Apr 21, 2009
    Port Angeles Wa
    Yep they will fight pull ea others neck feathers do the stare down but they wont fight to kill at this age Well I never have had them kill or hurt ea other there just seeing whos boss

8. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Ok thanks guys!! [​IMG]

9. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    i bet the two of them are roosters

10. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Quote:I allready thought they were roos, and this just finalized it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by