HELP! What breed are my new chickens?

BirdaMay

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2016
Loveland, CO
I'm brand new to chicken keeping (not to keeping birds, though! :) & would like to know what breed these free hens I got are.
I also have a RIR adult for free & 8 chicks who I got as day-old chicks (4 mille fleur d'Uccles and 4 white silkies).

The lady who gave them to me said they were heritage chickens, but to my knowledge, that is not a breed. I've seen blue eggs so far, but I think the darker bird might lay light brown eggs. Not sure. Saw their eggs in the box for a brief moment on picking up the coop, and one has laid a few blue
eggs since being here with me Would appreciate any help!

drumstick diva

Still crazy after all these years.
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Out to pasture
I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth - EE's aren't purebred but you got some beauties for free. And then others also free. How lucky you are!!

Before the luck wears off go buy a lotto ticket. :) Would love to see photos of the eight chicks.

BirdaMay

In the Brooder
Jun 8, 2016
Loveland, CO
Thank you! They certainly are beauties! I have a veritable rainbow flock! Let me get new pics of the 9 week old bantams (Mille Fleur d'Uccles and white silkies!) in the morning.

In the meantime, here is the lovely, dark, chocolatey Mystery Chick (I think she's a cross between an Australorpe hen & a black copper marans rooster) and the 4 other chicks I got to keep her company in the brooder box. Mystery's other friends are an Ameraucana, a red sex link, a Russian Orloff, and a blue laced red Wyandotte! Woohoo!

This is Mystery

Rock Star

The blue laced red Wyandotte (needs a name!)

Russian Orloff (needs a name!)

Robin (red sex link)

Robin & Rock Star

It is a fabulous thing to have chicks crawling all over you in bed!

OK- I'll get pics of the 9 week old bantams tomorrow.
big_smile.png

Top Bottom