HELP, what breed or crosses are these new girls?

smallbluejellybean

Songster
10 Years
Dec 13, 2009
Kings Park NSW Australia
I need some help, with what these breeds or X's these new girls are?
I know the photo's aren't very good, as I only had a minute to snap some shots of them this morning before it started to rain.
The orange/red one has 5 toes on each foot. I have never had a 5 toed chicken before and think it's cool.
900x900px-LL-b3fd23f8_IMG_20141017_090814934_HDR1.jpeg

LL

LL

We'd need better pictures, but the last one might be a game bird or a light brown leghorn? There are hundreds of distinct chicken breeds, so unless we can see combs and full bodies and feet, it'll be almost impossible to make an identification. And with mixes, it gets even harder.
hu.gif

I will have to get my son to take some new photo's with his camera. My mobile doesn't take very good shots.
The two middle hens have no combs and I was told by a friend that the gamie looking one looked like a Welsummer x brown leghorn. I was told by the seller that the middle two are EE x Maran and the other one is a Pom Pom x RIR, but I am not absolutely sure if that is right, so was checking with you guys, as you have been spot on in the past.

Pom Pom isn't a breed, so your friend might not be entirely right.
tongue.png
There could be anything in there... Andalusian, Marans, Silkie, Polish, Appenzeller Spitzhauben.... they're just chickens, barnyard mixes, and they'll lay yummy, yummy eggs.

Last edited:
the orange one with the 5 toes and the long feathers on the head looks a little bit like a silkie to me. She's really cute.

The orange one looks like a Silkie/Production Red cross, probably. The black and white barred bird in the second photo may be a Barred Rock or Cuckoo Marans mix. The one on the left in the second photo looks like a mix (could be a Marans/Easter Egger mix like your friend said). the last bird is likely either a game bantam or a Light Brown Leghorn.

Last edited:
The orange one looks like a Silkie/Production Red cross, probably. The black and white barred bird in the second photo may be a Barred Rock or Cuckoo Marans mix. The one on the left in the second photo looks like a mix (could be a Marans/Easter Egger mix like your friend said). the last bird is likely either a game bantam or a Light Brown Leghorn.
I agree with those guesses.

The barred chick is a coo coo marans or some cross, not barred rock, maybe a mix, true barred rocks have even barring which this bird clearly doesn't have, if it has a rose/pea comb, probably a Dominique cross

I need some help, with what these breeds or X's these new girls are?
I know the photo's aren't very good, as I only had a minute to snap some shots of them this morning before it started to rain.
The orange/red one has 5 toes on each foot. I have never had a 5 toed chicken before and think it's cool.
900x900px-LL-b3fd23f8_IMG_20141017_090814934_HDR1.jpeg

LL

LL

Pom Pom isn't a breed, so your friend might not be entirely right.
tongue.png
There could be anything in there... Andalusian, Marans, Silkie, Polish, Appenzeller Spitzhauben.... they're just chickens, barnyard mixes, and they'll lay yummy, yummy eggs.
The OP is in Kings Park Australia, There are breeds there and in the U.K. that are not in the U.S. and also they sometime have different names.

The first bird looks like a Polish or a Polish Crested crossed with a Rhode Island Red, The second two look like random crosses, the last hen looks like a Light Brown Leghorn.

Back
Top Bottom