Help! What can i do for my chick that has been attacked by the others

arkansaschicks

Songster
9 Years
May 28, 2010
little rock
My chick is dying and i don't know what to do to save it. please help! it was attacked by the other chicks this morning and was very bloody. it is not doing well. Is it okay to have it on a heating pad? What can i do to help it? Its head has been badly torn up. the chick is just laying there breathing heavy. Please help!

I'm so sorry.

Seperate her from the flock. Do not use a heating pad - use a heat lamp that she can move away from if she if too hot. You may want to try some sugar in her water for energy. Perhaps put a little stuffed animal in near her; and if able keep her in same room as other chicks so she can hear them. Keep her quiet. Fingers crossed...

If you take a little bit of sugar water (vitamins with electrolites are a bit better), and feed it to the chick with a dropper, that might help the chick perk up. Maybe the chick is sort of in shock. And you could maybe cuddle it a bit, like, if you're watching TV, hold it on your lab in a little dish towel.....since it's bloody, you'll have to keep it away from the rest because chickens just get really crazy when they see blood....once the chick is a little better, you can put some blue coat on it, and that is supposed to help heal the wound and deter pecking. *Warning....that stuff is BRIGHT BLUE!*

Good luck to you!

Thank you so much. We have her separated in another room under a heat lamp. I have tried giving her sugar water but once i do she shakes her head. Im sure thats not good for her to do that. She has been laying there not moving and is very limp. She is breathing very heavily. Im very worried about her.

I think if you could dab that on her head, without getting it into her eyes, it would be OK. Also, I once nursed a baby robin back to health, and I fed it droppers of warm milk! (I had found it on the ground after a rain storm, with it's eyes shut breathing heavily.) Maybe she would respond to some warm milk as well?!

OH, I hope things work out, but if they don't.....don't feel too bad because this stuff happens with chicks......crossing my fingers for ya!

Sharon

I have given her water and milk. I want to make sure she can eat. i don't think shes eaten all day long. She is very limp and doesn't move at all. i tried to stand her up but she is very limp. she would fall right over. i put food in front of her but she cant move. It scares me that she hasn't had anything to eat.

We have a half a bag of the high performance poultry pak of vitamins and electrolytes. Does anyone know how i should mix it for just one baby chick? all it says is add the whole pak to 2 gallons of water. Thanks for everyones help

Back
Top Bottom