HELP, WHAT CAN I DO!! HATCHING ONE SILVER APPLEYARD!

GoingQuakers

Hatching
Jun 14, 2023
My orpington went broody while i was out of town, my chicken baby sitter let her sit on eggs so when we got back into town we were gonna let her hatch them out. She left nest for 2days straight all were dead except one duck egg. I decided to incubate it, it externally pipped 2 days ago and started (it pipped at wrong end to start with) it then proceeded to zip up and down instead of side to side. After 16hrs of it clicking and getting no where i decided to intervene. I have helped chicken and quail eggs before and they made it. I pulled up the egg peices it broke and membrane so it could hopefully come out, it seems to be stuck. It is making a clicking noise and breathing heavy while trying to eat shell so i put it back in incubator, i just brought it back out to moisten membrane as its getting dry and shined a flashlight in shell all blood vessels are gone exept one or two small ones and there is a huge blood red one wrapped around the middle of egg do i pit it back in and continue to wait? It can't get out because of being malpositioned. Helpp

20230615_120911.jpg
its still chirping and attempting to get out, do you think it's ready?

I know nothing about ducks, but have had problems like this happen with my button quail. I also had a terrible time with 4 Gambel's. I am no expert myself, but this is what I have done with much success:

First is I see your duck is able to breath regular air. That's number one of importance and makes for no rush since getting them to get out is painstaking and requiring much patience.
One thing the bird has to do is to be able to fight its way out, something for some reason that is an important part of their hatching process. So, I make so it becomes a fake process to them. They have to think they did it all by themselves.
Next, I see blood filled vessels, both large and small. Can't even think of cutting/breaking those making it so you cannot go after the inner membrane.
I get bottled water and plenty of Q-Tips. I wet away from the nares/beak breathing area completely. I get under the membrane with wetness ( if I really cant get anywhere, I may use water/olive oil mix, but don't want to do that If at all possible.) The QTip is soft and I get under, not too far, by pushing flatly against the bird and not outwards. I just keep going all around avoiding the breathing area and also making sure any extra water falls to the bottom of egg. Avoid breathing area, head, eyes and ears.

After that, I note that the bird seems to suck the blood out of vessels where Qtip has been and then begin removing ever tiny pieces of membrane. Again, avoiding areas as stated above. With time the hole begins to widen. Soon you will see other parts such as a wing or a head being to pop out.

In the picture you posted it does not look quite ready to hatch. There are still veins and the membrane doesn’t look ready. Is it doing a chewing/yawning motion?

Its foot is bent backwards over the head, will it still be able to get itself out?
Don't know. Each one of these situations is different. she might be kind of stuck in a strange position for a while after out, but don't even worry about that as yet.

Need a picture to see whats going on now.

Remember, she has to be able to fight her way out of that egg or all can be lost. Got to create the illusion it is all of her own doing to get free from the egg.

In the picture you posted it does not look quite ready to hatch. There are still veins and the membrane doesn’t look ready. Is it doing a chewing/yawning motion?
She is not doing it as much as she was yesterday but yeah she still does it every now and then!

Back
Top Bottom