HELP what do I do?

nurselynnb

In the Brooder
Oct 14, 2023
I have a paralyzed leghorn about 24 weeks old I have been treating with B vitamins she had been vaccinated for Marek's but I found out my 21 week Orpingtons were not.... if it is Marek's they have been exposed will the vaccine help at this point?

I have a paralyzed leghorn about 24 weeks old I have been treating with B vitamins she had been vaccinated for Marek's but I found out my 21 week Orpingtons were not.... if it is Marek's they have been exposed will the vaccine help at this point?
Sorry your bird is unwell. :(

The answer is not likely. See the following link for some excellent information..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

To be clear the vaccine when effective only hides symptoms and does not prevent the disease. Some birds, will have a natural resistance.

I hope your flock recovers quickly! :fl

1-super b complex vitamin E vitamin D, Calcium.... but she is eating better now and moving her legs.... still cant stand on them she is flapping her wings like she wants to fly and talking to me.... this has been 6 days of dosing. and her tail is moving some.... it had not previously... since I see some improvement does this rule out Mareks? Or is that still on the table...

1-super b complex vitamin E vitamin D, Calcium.... but she is eating better now and moving her legs.... still cant stand on them she is flapping her wings like she wants to fly and talking to me.... this has been 6 days of dosing. and her tail is moving some.... it had not previously... since I see some improvement does this rule out Mareks? Or is that still on the table...
Is this all one pill? What i.u or mg is she getting of each of these? She doesn't need calcium right now.
Vitamin deficiency can show up over night but it takes weeks to get back to normal

yes the B-complex has b1-3mg ,b2 3.2mg, niacin 20mg b6 4mg folate400 mcg b12 12mg.... what do you think about the vitamin d and e?....if so how much? anything else I need??

when and if... can I be certain its not Mareks? I am terrified for my other chickens... she is out of the flock but I understand they are already exposed... :(

when and if... can I be certain its not Mareks? I am terrified for my other chickens... she is out of the flock but I understand they are already exposed... :(

Why is mareks such a concern? I’m not trying to sound rude, just a bit confused. The mareks vaccine is a live vaccine but doesn’t spread to unvaccinated birds. I talked to my vet about this since half of my flock is vaccinated, birds bought offline, and half aren’t, the ones hatched here. The vet said that the vaccine will help lessen the symptoms of mareks in vaccinated birds and can even prolong their life. But the vaccinated ones can’t spread the disease just because they got the vaccine. They still have to be exposed to it from an outside source.

No im not worried about the vaccine!...., I am worried that my chicken has Mareks her legs are paralyzed.. I have been giving her vitamins and I have seen some improvement... some of my flock has been vaccinated and others not.... if this is Mareks will the others get it especially my unvaccinated ones? I adore my chickens....

No im not worried about the vaccine!...., I am worried that my chicken has Mareks her legs are paralyzed.. I have been giving her vitamins and I have seen some improvement... some of my flock has been vaccinated and others not.... if this is Mareks will the others get it especially my unvaccinated ones? I adore my chickens....
It's not likely to be mareks.
Since she's vaccinated, it's unlikely to be showing these symptoms even if she had it.
Keep up the vitamins and unless she has a malformation or a stroke, she'll get back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom