1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help, what do I do!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by watergoddess, Aug 1, 2013.

1. watergoddess

watergoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    I had a chicken egg in my incubator that started pipping and it started to hatch. It stopped for like almost 24 hours so I was getting worried. I peeled some of the shell and noticed some veins so I wrapped the chick in a warm wet paper towel. I Came back an hour later and it had scramble out of the egg but its carrying around a sting of placenta looking stuff. Should I be concerned? Will it fall off on its own? Please help

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It is carrying around an unabsorbed egg yolk sack. It probably hatched a little early, and thus did not completely absorb the yolk into its body.

In most cases, the egg sack will dry up and fall off fairly quickly. I have had several birds with this problem, and they all survived.

3. watergoddess

Aug 19, 2012
    I'm afraid it will trip on it and pull its innards out

4. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    There's really not much you can do - just leave it alone and let things progress naturally.

5. watergoddess

Aug 19, 2012
    He's doing alright so far and it's drying up nicely its just the little part at the top where it meets its stomach that's still wet. Hopefully it will dry up and fall off in the night

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by