Bleeding chick with unabsorbed yolk HELP

yttac16

Chirping
Jun 4, 2023
Hi all! I had a chick pip at 18 days and hatch almost 24 hours later. The pip had a little blood and liquid come out. It has been stuck on the shell and laying down since it hatched. I decided to take it out and very carefully remove the shell. Its leg had slightly dried and was unable to kick it off. But it looks like this. What do I do? Will it survive?! I've put it back into the incubator as there are no others in there atm. Please help

Attachments

• IMG_7140.jpeg
    IMG_7140.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_7141.jpeg
    IMG_7141.jpeg
    318.6 KB · Views: 45
Put some neosporin on the stump and leave it the incubator, I'm not sure if anything can be done except wait.
Thanks for the reply! I thought this would be a wait and see situation. It looks a lot more comfortable now without the shell so 🤞

That doesnt look like yolk to me, it's navel is closed. That looks like the remaining albumen. Possibly slightly high humidity, or it just didnt have time to absorb the extra moisture because it hatched so early.

It's doing a lot better this mornings. Getting up and moving around in the incubator. It's mostly dry now.

Any suggestions how to clean it off? I would hate for it to now have issues with its vent it's it's dried over it

It's doing a lot better this mornings. Getting up and moving around in the incubator. It's mostly dry now.

Any suggestions how to clean it off? I would hate for it to now have issues with its vent it's it's dried over it
Use warm running water to dab the spot and slowly pull it off as it gives. Dry it and keep the chick warm.

Unfortunately she didn't make it. She had curled toes on one foot and was barley walking so may have been for the best

Back
Top Bottom