Help! What is going on with my hen?!

Looks too perfectly round for a tick to me. And, really not the right color, or at least not the color of any blood inflated tick I have ever seen. They will usually be a lighter looking gray. However, there are different kinds of ticks, so could be one that is not in my neck of the woods.

I think the way the hens feathers are covering it make it look more round then it is , hopefully whatever it is they get it removed.
Screenshot_20210220-224416_Chrome.jpg

I agree it looks like a fully ingorged tick. I would not yank it out since the head of the tick can get left behind and cause way more problems there are a couple ways to make it back out #1 hot match (blow out first so it's hot but not on fire) #2 smother with Vaseline.
If you use tweezers and rubbing alcohol, you can pull it out by the head.
I would suggest pluck gin the feathers away, or clipping them away with finger nail clippers. Then, you can better see what it is. Once you get the feathers away, take another picture, and post it here. Then we can get a better idea of what it is.

If you can move it around but it's stuck in there, then my guess is a tick. Alot of tines when you gently move it you can see their legs squirming around.
I've seen them look exactly like a BB. I've mistaken them for a BB before. I have a set of tick twisters, they have 2 sizes for large and small ticks, and I take them out that way. Imo it's best not to leave it in for too long though. Much luck!! ❤

I hope the OP comes back and answers some questions. By now, I would hope they've put some Vaseline on the silver orb and if it's a tick, it's backed itself out of the poor hen's head by now.

Ticks can carry some nasty microbes, so it may have infected the tissue around the eye. Some Neosporin on the tick bite and in the eye itself might be enough to fight infection, but if the chicken is lethargic, an oral antibiotic like amoxicillin might be necessary.

I agree, there is some very shiny ones on the internet so it's definitely possible it's a tick and not a BB
View attachment 2538979
I can only think of a few things that is nastier looking than that. :lol: The picture that the OP posted does resemble this a lot.

Back
Top Bottom