Help what is this!

Sophia Pincheon

In the Brooder
Mar 11, 2023
I have a 6 month old corrnish cross who is making weird sounds when she breaths I have video below of her I thought she was choking so gave her water did not help she gets over heated because of her breed please help.

I have a 6 month old corrnish cross who is making weird sounds when she breaths I have video below of her I thought she was choking so gave her water did not help she gets over heated because of her breed please help.
Close to laying pullets often start making weird noises and that's what I was initially hoping for, but "as they breath" really changes the possibilities.. (I can barely make it out for sure, but think I honed in on croaky-ness in every breath) :(

Congestive heart failure can be one cause of fluid on the lungs.. and would not be uncommon to see in said breed. Some do live longer.. but it can be luck of the draw sometimes coupled with management practices (restrictive diet, etc).

Many respiratory infections may sound like that as well.

What other symptoms are you seeing? Is she actively eating and drinking on her own, still responding to treats? Any eye or nasal discharge, active sneezing, etc? Are you able to feel for "water belly" and would you (or I) be able to tell it apart from standard abdomen chub?

Have you tried to look inside her beak to see if there are any plaques or other foreign objects aside from offering the water to try and wash anything down?

Just trying to help trouble shoot here. Hope you get answers and she recovers quickly! :fl

Close to laying pullets often start making weird noises and that's what I was initially hoping for, but "as they breath" really changes the possibilities.. (I can barely make it out for sure, but think I honed in on croaky-ness in every breath) :(

Congestive heart failure can be one cause of fluid on the lungs.. and would not be uncommon to see in said breed. Some do live longer.. but it can be luck of the draw sometimes coupled with management practices (restrictive diet, etc).

Many respiratory infections may sound like that as well.

What other symptoms are you seeing? Is she actively eating and drinking on her own, still responding to treats? Any eye or nasal discharge, active sneezing, etc? Are you able to feel for "water belly" and would you (or I) be able to tell it apart from standard abdomen chub?

Have you tried to look inside her beak to see if there are any plaques or other foreign objects aside from offering the water to try and wash anything down?

Just trying to help trouble shoot here. Hope you get answers and she recovers quickly! :fl
She is eating and drinking I would like to see her drink more but I looked and saw nothing inside her throat, I have not seen any other symptom she just pants a lot but that is her breed bc she is not good in the heat. She is inside now with another chicken who is recovering fro. A heat stroke. Thank for the help

She is eating and drinking I would like to see her drink more but I looked and saw nothing inside her throat, I have not seen any other symptom she just pants a lot but that is her breed bc she is not good in the heat. She is inside now with another chicken who is recovering fro. A heat stroke. Thank for the help
Oh good, I'm glad to her she has a friend for company!

While I'm not saying it is congestive heart failure for sure.. Ascites as its known medically is commonly seen as described/seen.. Labored breathing with gurgling sound. She's got genetics going heavily in that favor.. (but mind still open). Here are a couple links with descriptions..

https://www.dsm.com/anh/challenges/supporting-animal-health/ascites-in-chickens.html

https://thecapecoop.com/water-belly-ascetis-in-chickens/

6 month old corrnish cross who is making weird sounds when she breaths I have video below of her I thought she was choking so gave her water did not help she gets over heated because of her breed please help.
Check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight.

Can she walk and move around at all?

I'd say she's overheating as well. Work on hydration, give electrolytes for a few hours then switch to plain cool water.
Since you moved her inside, hopefully she's doing better. What are your plans for her, she's a meat bird so will likely continue to gain weight in time and may have more health issues.

Check her crop to make sure it's emptying overnight.

Can she walk and move around at all?

I'd say she's overheating as well. Work on hydration, give electrolytes for a few hours then switch to plain cool water.
Since you moved her inside, hopefully she's doing better. What are your plans for her, she's a meat bird so will likely continue to gain weight in time and may have more health issues.
Ok will watch her close, she was a rescue so I am just trying to give her a good life I know she will most likely have complications later one but right now she is free range will the others and happy.

Yes no more hard breathing, should I put her outside it's going to be in the 90s?
I'm glad she's doing better.

If possible, keep her in a cooler place for at least the hottest part of the day. The heat is hard on her. She may enjoy being outside with her friends in the mornings when it's cooler and then brought inside until temps are once again cooler in the evenings.
Try a few things and see what works for your schedule and for her too.

Back
Top Bottom