HELP! What is wrong with my hen's bottom? Prolapsed uterus?

bock

Songster
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
Northern CA
I just got back from a 7 day vacation and went outside to check on the animals. I went over to the chicken coop and I could immediately tell something was wrong with my BTW Japanese Bantam Hen. Dried poo was hanging down all around her bottom, so I had my sister hold her while I gently washed off the poo with the hose. A few minutes later clear watery poo spilled out of her bottom and a dark red thing was visible.
ep.gif
My RIR ran over and pecked at the red tissue, then she pulled it back into her body. I also found 3 eggs of her eggs that were twice the size than usual, and two normal-sized ones. I have heard of egg-bound hens, and hens' uterus coming out of their body. I think I also had an egg-bound duck die from this, but I never knew for sure. Please help, I don't know what to do, and I don't want her to die!
hit.gif

Last edited:
I would separate her if you can, just to keep the other chickens from pecking at her, otherwise they will cause infection or death.

Sorry I don't know what else to do? Hope she is ok.
hugs.gif

Since nobody was helping, I tried to give her a bath in warm water and massage the egg out. I thought I felt an egg right bellow her ribs, but after I would massage it down about an inch it would return to it's original spot. I gave up after 8 minutes, because she kept on flapping her wings and then what I think is her uterus kept on falling out and I would have to push it back in.
hit.gif
I really need help.
hu.gif

Separate her and clean her up the best you can. You can use clean saline in a syringe to squirt some inside the vent to dislodge debris if it is dirty. If you have an antibiotic, put some in her water. Make sure she has some layer with calcium in it and watch her for awhile.

Quote:
Ok, clean her off. If you have any hemorrhoid cream apply that to her vent area. She has a prolaspe, and you need to keep her as clean and as quite as possible, in a dark area. Hopefully it will return to the proper form soon. The cream will help it shrink back up.

Last edited:
Thank you, I will make her a nice place to rest.
smile.png
How long should I leave her in there? Will the uterus go back in by itself? Is there any special food I should feed her? Thank you so much.
big_smile.png
Edited to say:I don't have hemoroid cream, is there anything else I can use? And, should I put vasalene on her vent? Thanks.
smile.png

Last edited:
Try to encourage it back in. I'm not sure what else you could use. I would hold off on the vasaline, as you want it to go back in. She probably passed all the eggs, and what you feel is one that is not ready yet, but keep an eye out on it. You want her to stay very clean..... I would wait a week past when it recedes back in at least to let her out.. Try to keep her from pecking at herself also.

Thank you, I just put her in my bedroom. I need to go clean her vent, she has the most horrible poo right now!
sickbyc.gif
Thanks, I coudn't have helped her without you!
big_smile.png

She has been in my room for about 4 hours now, and the uterus has not come out once!
big_smile.png
I looked up some pictures and videos of this condition though, and her uterus did not come out all the way, just part of it, I think.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom