Help! What is wrong with my little call??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by keyt1969, Sep 5, 2010.

1. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have three almost 2 month old call babies. One is considerably smaller than the other two, but she eats, drinks and plays normally. Earlier in the week I had posted pics of the (girls?) and a couple people said the smaller one might be developing angel wing. So I wrapped her with vet wrap, but that only lasted a day because I didn't wrap it very tight and she wiggled it off yesterday morning. This morning I woke up to this;

[​IMG]
    This is the left wing. It was all bloody so these pics were taken after I cleaned it up with some peroxide!

[​IMG]
    2 days ago I noticed this wing was losing feathers

[​IMG]
    Now both have lost feathers and look injured.

[​IMG]
    I wasn't worrying so much about both losing feathers, but when I saw her this morning it looked like she was chewed up by someone, but there are no bite or peck marks. Any ideas what it could be? What should I do?

2. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    Looks like something got ahold of her? I think I would put her under a heat lamp and keep her quiet. maybe an antibotic. good luck!

3. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    They look bruised. Just the tips? What is she sleeping in? Is it possible that she is hitting the wings on the sides of the cage?
    Or worse-
    is she in with Sadie and Opie? Do you think they are grabbing their wings?
    Im sorry that I am not being any help- I really have no idea, but the tips of her wings definitely are black like bruising- make sure none of those wing feathers are actively bleeding- if they are, you have to use a pair of tweezers and pull it out completely.

good luck, and I hope you can figure it out.

I just looked again and that one feather looks all bloody- if that feather is broken, you need to pull it- looks like a blood feather to me, and if she bangs it at night, while you arent near it could bleed so much, just pull that one.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  4. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:She is in with Sadie and Opie and all the other chickens at night and only Sadie and Opie during the day. They don't pay any attention to her! Sadie will walk very slowly to her but as soon as they go in the other direction, she gives up. I don't think it's them. Now after reading this I'm all worried and might go out and get her. The one wing was losing feathers, then today the other wing didn't have any and it was totally bloody! The pics were AFTER it was cleaned up with peroxide! It broke my heart. After I cleaned her up she cuddled in my neck like she didn't want me to go away. But I put her back outside and she got in the pool and swam around all day!

I thought at first she might be getting angel wing too because both of her wings were bulging out, so I wrapped it but obviously not tight enough because she got out of it. Her wings looked fine all day yesterday and when she went to bed. The wing wasn't like that til I let her out this morning.

Now I don't know if I should bring her in or leave her out there. Ugh. My bf says she swam all day (i was gone most of the night) with no problems and it looked clean at bedtime. But still...I worry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by