HELP! What kills

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by fl_deb, Aug 17, 2010.

1. fl_deb

fl_deb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    FLY maggots?

I got some of those fly traps that you put attractent in and it captures flies. I closed the top and set it in the sun hoping to kill the flys still alive in trap but this morning it is over run with maggots!

I've tried bleach water and soapy bleach water and they are still swimming out of the container!

I need help!

Thank you all for any suggestions!

Also, what do you do to empty these things? I emptied one other fearing maggots would appear soon and honesty says that I'm glad I had not eaten breakfast yet because it would have been on the ground in a heartbeat!

2. Stonerowfarm

Stonerowfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2008
    Cheshire, MA
    You should have just given the maggots to the chickens. They love them. As far as preventing them in the first place, sorry but no idea. I know when I've used the fly traps they just buzzed around until they died. It sounds like yours are reproducing for some reason.

Hope someone has a better answer for the next time for you.

3. Giammona farm

Giammona farm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2009
    Point Reyes Station, CA
    Raid or some kind of poision

4. Brahma Mamma

Brahma Mamma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    Our chickens LOVE maggots! Once in awhile a friend will drop off some bait heads and tails from fishing. We just pile the slithering mess away from the house and let the flies go at it. The chickens patiently wait for the maggot treats to appear...

5. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    That is sooo gross, but sooo good to know! Now I can save the bug spray and recycle the maggots!

6. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    My girls just love fly maggots. I have a garbage can under the fly trap and the maggots fell into the can. I was then able to take the tasty little maggots to the girls. They were so happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by