HELP what to do with peacock

fernandez0067

Songster
11 Years
Dec 2, 2008
Schenectady
Hello, I just got a male peacock that was loose in my town. The owner didnt want it anymore. I have chickens already, I put the peacock in a dog kennel inside my chicken coop with some food and water. How long should I wait before I let it out with my chickens? Im nervous its going to fly away if I let it out too early.

he will need a pen of his own. You will need to keep him cooped up for a few months to make sure he will stick around.
big_smile.png

There is no guarantee he will stay, no matter how long you keep him up. I have had birds that were hatched on my place get out of their pen and just walk off. I have had new birds get away from me before I ever get them to a pen and they just stay around the place until I catch them. You just never know. Good luck.

Thank you guys for the responses. I dont have the means to give him a pen of his own, he is going to have to try and work it out with the chickens! Hopefully he will stick around... hes so pretty!

Quote:
I am in Voorheesville, if you don't want him, I'll take him. My sister lives in Rotterdam and just called me to tell me about the loose one running around town. Love it!

hide.gif

Quote:
Hello,
I am a friend of Fran Delgado (Rotterdam Town Supervisor). I have been in contact with Doreen who owns "Home Tweet Home Bird Rescue" in NYC.

She potentially may have a sanctuary on Long Island for the bird.

Her number is: 631-896-2913

http://hometweethome.homestead.com/

Please contact her asap.

Additionally, we heard about a heated bird sanctuary in Clifton Park. But we have limited information

Please let us know how things turn out.

Last edited:
Unless you're fast at getting a proper enclosure built, I'd give it to the shelter if possible. Then, once you get a suitable enclosure built, buy one cheap from Craigslist. They're weird about being put in with chickens, especially if he's never been with them before, they can fall easily to disease and that would be sad to see.

Back
Top Bottom