Help!---What's killing my keets?

MiniatureCochin

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 30, 2011
Help! My Guinea Keets are dropping dead everywhere. One of my Guinea hens hatched 21 keets between the July 4th and 7th.
Now I've got 11, and one is dying as I write this.
I don't know if it's an illness, injury or genetic factor.
First I thought they weren't getting enough water---but their bowl was always full, and I saw them drinking. Then I though they were being stepped on by their parents (they were kept in a 8x8 chicken coop), and then I thought maybe it's something to do with genetics (their parents are probably full siblings or have some close relation). Could it be diet? They're eating the chicken feed like the others.

They all have the same ''symptoms''. They look slightly shrunken the morning before collapsing, then they act weak, can't walk, and kind of flop around. If you pick one up, its head rolls backward.

Please help!

Thank you so much,

MiniCochin

It has been the upper 80's for the most part, humid, not as hot as it was before(---95-102degrees.)
They don't seem to have issues eating the food---the crumbles don't seem too big...

and I did lose that other baby....10left :(

anyone else??
I've lost another 3 keets, and another is dying. I'm thinking about bringing a couple of them inside....

please help!

Down to only a couple keets outside, one barely holding on inside....
If ANYONE has any ideas, they are greatly appreciated!

MC

I guess I would try something for coccidiosis even if there's no bloody stool or you are on medicated feed. Maybe 5-7 days of Tylan as well. They may have not been outside their coop but the adults poop carries cocci as well. It's worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom