HELP! What's wrong with my chicken?

IndyRealtor

Hatching
Sep 13, 2016

My chicken seemed broody yesterday and today is just sitting there. I pulled that thing out of her vent (no idea what it is, about two inches long). I turned her over and her bottom was full of stuck hay and other stuff. Also it seems like there is a hard ridge along her belly lengthwise but I don't know if that's just normal bone or what. She's just sitting around like that, no reflexes, not flinching or running away from me when I go to grab her. Advice please!!! Feel free to email me directly. [email protected]

Sorry your hen is having a bad time, I am not a vet.. just guessing that maybe egg shell? is it hard or soft? In any case, I would try the Epson salt warm bath (20-30 minutes). (yes, you may get one too) Also, mineral oil and or olive oil in some kind of food treat, soaked bread or mine really like fish, so I soak the fish in it. My understanding is mineral oil is not going to be absorbed, and therefore will help lube the passage ways. If there is an egg or egg parts stuck it will help move it along. The bath will not only clean her up, but also help her relax and maybe help move whatever is the problem along. I have had good luck with it.

I think the ridge you are referring is the normal breast bone.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom