Help! When is a full crop too full?

It's too full if they vomit. My chicks gorge themselves all the time. I wouldn't recommend it on a regular basis, but they will be okay. After gorging they usually go into food coma. lol It will always get larger after eating, but when they've stuffed themselves they'll twist their neck and gasp in an effort to push more food down (they'll do this if they eat too fast also). When it's REALLY full you can see straight through the crop and look at everything they just ate. EEEEW... but fun.
wink.png
A full crop isn't a problem as long as things keep moving. Offer fresh, cool water to your birds at all times and crop binding should not be a concern. If they do get crop bound, you can usually get things moving again simply by firmly massaging the crop. If you're worried that it's too full, just gently massage it. Also, they will probably gasp when you massage. You may be pushing against the trachea or lungs... no reason to worry, just give them breaks in between massaging. Also also... provide grit, they'll need it to digest the corn cobs.

First Thanks for everyone who weighed in and provided information!
Two crops were still enlarged this morning and those chicks seem a bit off balance and sluggish, watching closely and added acv. Btw I visited the emergency section for the first time five minutes ago
ep.gif
I took a look at the first couple of titles just to see what I have been missing. I stick to the raising chicks and predator sections and will continue to do so but please do not assume that even newbies like me are alarmist hypochondriacs. I waited two years planning and reading before I got my chicks and this was my first time asking for help for something. When I went to bed last night I was considering it being my last. Information is important and helpful but if it comes with stuffing anothers crop with crow, not so much.

Last edited:
Are the crops still swollen? I have a six day old bantam chick that was doing the same yesterday afternoon - the neck stretching gasping thing and her crop was huge. This morning it is still really big but she is acting fine. Do I worry or need to take some action? Thanks!

Quote:
You have a right to be concerned bacuse of the bedding they are on. I would take them off of it for the corn ground like that is easy for them to eat and not digest. Get them on wood pellets or wood shavings. I have mine on pellets and if they eat them it turens into sawdust and is passed thru. I have noticed that a few pick thru the saw dust the pellets break down to when wet. I have had no problems with them picking some of it up.

What breed of chicks are we taling about here? That might make a differnace also.

Thank you so much for your response and suggestions. I have
4 BR
4 BA
4 EE
Two of the EE continue to have problems. I am going to get the pellets tomorrow, I was worried about getting them because I was sure they would eat them but if they just pass through GREAT! I am massaging a couple of times a day, giving a little olive oil soaked bread and watching behavior which thank goodness has been normal since I started the massage and olive oil. The crops go down a bit but never completely and I can always feel pieces of corn cob. There is no smell so not sour crop. I am willing to treat symptoms and hope new bedding helps. Thanks again for the suggestions.

P.S. Kittyacid-I hope your chick is doing well and all this banter helps
big_smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom