Help! Which Breed Should I Get???

eep123

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 28, 2008
Okay, so I'd like to get new chickens (my first ones were cornish X's so they died after a few months
sad.png
but i really like them so i want to try again), but I have no idea which breed i should get. I only want girls. And I only want to get 2 or 3 due to the limited amount of space.
-I live in south florida so i'd like something that can tolerate the heat well.
- I don't want a bird that is too flighty or loud because i live in a residential neighborhood.
-Fairly calm, they will be pets
-Decent layers
-Friendly
-And not flyers, i don't want them jumping over the fence

Thanks for any suggestions
smile.png

Last edited:
I can't recommend cochin bantams enough. I've never had a flogging one, they crow more softly than my other breeds, and they follow us around the yard like puppies. They love being held and being with us....they are very good with kids too.

If you are wanting good egg layers that are pretty then I'm going to recommend the Ameraucanas (that's what they're called at the hatchery. Most people here referr to them as Easter Eggers). They lay blue/green eggs and come in a hundred thousand trillion different colors. That gives a little variety to your flock (which makes it easier to name each one right from the beginning) and provides plenty of funky colored eggs.

i would say an EE would be your best bet, but you never know what their temperment is going to be like...i would stay away from the large very feathered breeds like cochins, orpintons and austrolorps. if i were you i would try for some old english standards or even bantams they lay pretty well, they are very colorful and they also seem to be very good mothers if you decide to let one hatch some chicks out. also a Rhode Island Red should work pretty well or even a naked neck if you like the way they look

I agree with Easter Eggers, they lay such nice eggs, good size and colors. They are also so friendly. It's easy to tell them all apart. Another good choice for the heat might be Turkens, if you like the naked neck look. They are good inside a fence and lay nice sized eggs.

After much research and hair pulling
lol.png
we decided on these breeds. We have most of the same concerns you do. We're in San Diego,CA so our humidity is not as bad as yours but we've been getting pretty extreme heat lately. We don't have our babies yet but I can at least give you suggestions.

#1 Barred Rocks - one of the favorite breeds here and one of the prettiest
#2 Easter Eggers - also a favorite with the added bonus of green/blue eggs
#3 Black Australorps - these are gorgeous and very friendly
#4 Rhode Island Reds - very good layers and friendly
#5 Black Stars (sex-link) - laying machines and are lighter so do well in the heat

Thanks so much, but i read somewhere that the plymouth rocks don't to too well in the heat. Is this true?

Quote:
Ive seen lots of plymout rocks down here in Oklahoma and we get some brutal hot days and they do well. They are smart enough to get in the shade if it gets to0 hot. You can always clip wingfeathers if they fly over your fence.

Back
Top Bottom