Help! White crested duck struggling

No sign of an ear infection. Probably just neurological issues she’s struggling from.
Avian vets will have special tools that can look in their ear holes better than we can. Also, if you can afford blood tests and such they can rule out other options. There are many possibilities that we can't even think of. Maybe it's neurological, but maybe it is something treatable?

You might Google "exotic animal veterinarian," if that turns up nothing search, "farm vet," because some will see poultry. We have several near me, but I had to search for them.

@Quatie, do you think antibiotics might help? I'm not one to be willy-nilly with antibiotics use, but maybe it'll help eliminate some possibilities??? Idk.
Depending on what it is, yes it could possibly help. If it were an ear infection or some infection, the antibiotics would help. If it were a toxin or fungal issue than no. Since it has been going on for so long, it is less likely.

Ok that’s what I was thinking. She very rarely wants to sit still even when she’s tipping over like she’s does.

Ok I’ll check her ears and let you know. She has had no issues eating or drinking.
I thought maybe if she wasn't eating and drinking as well when you were treating for wry neck that it could be possible she wasn't getting enough vitamins. Doesn't sound like the case.

I do not know of any vets nearby that see ducks. I agree these videos need to be shown so people know what they are getting into buying these crested ducks. I purchased her from Metzer Farms. I emailed them last month raising my concerns, but have not heard anything back.
Metzer has a list of avian vets. It may be helpful.

https://www.metzerfarms.com/veterinarians.html

Also you can always try posting the video on one of their social media sites to bring attention to it.

Avian vets will have special tools that can look in their ear holes better than we can. Also, if you can afford blood tests and such they can rule out other options. There are many possibilities that we can't even think of. Maybe it's neurological, but maybe it is something treatable?

You might Google "exotic animal veterinarian," if that turns up nothing search, "farm vet," because some will see poultry. We have several near me, but I had to search for them.
I am hoping it’s something treatable. Thank you, I will look.

Depending on what it is, yes it could possibly help. If it were an ear infection or some infection, the antibiotics would help. If it were a toxin or fungal issue than no. Since it has been going on for so long, it is less likely.

I thought maybe if she wasn't eating and drinking as well when you were treating for wry neck that it could be possible she wasn't getting enough vitamins. Doesn't sound like the case.

Metzer has a list of avian vets. It may be helpful.

https://www.metzerfarms.com/veterinarians.html

Also you can always try posting the video on one of their social media sites to bring attention to it.
I will look at their list of vets. Thank you!

I agree these videos need to be shown so people know what they are getting into buying these crested ducks. I purchased her from Metzer Farms. I emailed them last month raising my concerns, but have not heard anything back.
Send Metzer the videos of her spinning and falling!

My son and I have 2 crested -- not from choice. My son's female came from Tractor Supply at a few days old and we didn't realise she was crested until 3 or 4 days later. She has an associated bony deformity in her neck -- it shows when she stretches upwards or downwards -- but it doesn't cause her any problems or discomfort. She is the cutest loudest little duck imaginable. Big personality and wants everyone to know it My crested drake is a rescue that had been attacked by a raccoon as a duckling. He is the sweetest cuddliest little boy -- also very loud probably by coincidence -- and doesn't have any other bony deformities. Both these ducks are lucky as neurological problems are far more common in crested ducks

Your duck looks to me as if she has neurological issues causing involuntary movement -- almost like chorea in humans.You should know that in humans, the person who has chorea is rarely distressed, but people witnessing the movements do get distressed. That might be the same for your little girl. If she can eat and drink, and is not making distressed noises, you are likely to be more distressed about her symptoms than she is. I agree with the suggestions to keep her quiet and separate from your other ducks. I currently have a dog exercise pen on my back patio to keep two new ducks quarantined. Perhaps you could fix up a home made or purchased little pen for her so that your ducks can see each other and socialize but not harm her?

I looked online and thought she has to have something else and I came across intracranial lipoma http://www.duckdvm.com/condition/intracranial-lipoma .

I think that the linked artical is a little over pessimistic:

"Ducks with intracranial lipomas may be asymptomatic, but most develop clinical signs of central nervous system disturbance, caused by massive deformation of the rostral cerebellum and compression of the cerebellar folia in affected ducks."

I believe that most crested ducks to not develop clinical signs and do not have massive deformities. Some develop symptoms -- certainly a much higher proportion of crested ducks develop neurological symptoms than non-crested ducks -- but most live normal lives indicative that they do not have massive deformations of their brains.

The reason for the discrepancy is bias in the sample that are studied. The ducks that are studied are the ones that have symptoms and are taken to a vet. Most crested ducks live out their lives well away from vets and researchers.

Send Metzer the videos of her spinning and falling!

My son and I have 2 crested -- not from choice. My son's female came from Tractor Supply at a few days old and we didn't realise she was crested until 3 or 4 days later. She has an associated bony deformity in her neck -- it shows when she stretches upwards or downwards -- but it doesn't cause her any problems or discomfort. She is the cutest loudest little duck imaginable. Big personality and wants everyone to know it My crested drake is a rescue that had been attacked by a raccoon as a duckling. He is the sweetest cuddliest little boy -- also very loud probably by coincidence -- and doesn't have any other bony deformities. Both these ducks are lucky as neurological problems are far more common in crested ducks

Your duck looks to me as if she has neurological issues causing involuntary movement -- almost like chorea in humans.You should know that in humans, the person who has chorea is rarely distressed, but people witnessing the movements do get distressed. That might be the same for your little girl. If she can eat and drink, and is not making distressed noises, you are likely to be more distressed about her symptoms than she is. I agree with the suggestions to keep her quiet and separate from your other ducks. I currently have a dog exercise pen on my back patio to keep two new ducks quarantined. Perhaps you could fix up a home made or purchased little pen for her so that your ducks can see each other and socialize but not harm her?
I sent the videos of her to Metzer Farms yesterday. I’m glad to hear yours are doing well.
That’s what I’ve been trying to come up with now is something for her so she can see her sisters but where I don’t have to worry about her getting hurt.

Back
Top Bottom