HELP!!! Why are my always eating?!?!?

Yeah, without knowing what chicken exactly it is hard to say.

Meat chickens eat A LOT and if you leave the food out all day, they will ruin you ;)
If they are layers, they will eat a lot less.

No where in this thread do I see that anyone has said how old their chickens are or what they are. It's hard to advise with so little info. Cindy in PA has it right IF they are grown layers which without info to the contrary one would assume. Here's a thought though, are you feeding ONLY your chickens or all the birds, rats, mice and whatever can get into the feed? After I built a treadle feeder, I found I used much less feed, surprise, surprise. And the wild birds, sparrows and starlings, quit coming into the chicken house. Regards, Woody

I have 12 hens and they eat so much. They are 12 weeks old.

I have 16 chickens and a 50lb bag lasts about a month. But I free range them from 3-8pm 3 days a week and all day the other 4 days. Also have a compost pile in their run and throw them scraps. When they free range all day I don't give them feed. They are 15-20wks and 5 lay almost daily.

YES I do let them free range and give them a lot of scraps And No i'm not starving my chickens!
Chicken eat to fill a caloric need, they will eat until that caloric need is met.
If your feeding a bunch of low calorie scraps and there eating a lot of low nutrient grass there going to eat more because the grass and and scraps are depleting the caloric intake.

The average laying hen needs a 2,900 kcal ME/kg diet.
That's right around 2,900 kilocalories for every 2.20 lbs of feed intake.

kcal = kilocalorie
ME/kg = metabolisable energy per kilogram of dry matter

Chicken eat to fill a caloric need, they will eat until that caloric need is met.
If your feeding a bunch of low calorie scraps and there eating a lot of low nutrient grass there going to eat more because the grass and and scraps are depleting the caloric intake.

[COLOR=000000]The average laying hen needs a 2,900 kcal ME/kg diet.[/COLOR]
That's right around 2,900 kilocalories for every 2.20 lbs of feed intake.

[COLOR=000000]kcal = kilocalorie [/COLOR]
[COLOR=000000]ME/kg = metabolisable energy per kilogram of dry matter [/COLOR]

Well I have been feeding my chickens all Organic fruits,veggies,quinoa, and sometimes oatmeal. The grass they have been eating is just wild grass from my back yard...

Back
Top Bottom