HELP! Why do they Buh-gawk like this?

My chickens behavior varies by breed. The two EE are much louder than the other two. One rejoices when she lays an egg, and also when she remembers she laid an eggs. But I can barely hear her when she is in the back yard and I'm in the front, so I don't think the sound carries all that far.

Thanks everyone for all the great responses! Its so interesting reading about all your experiences! I feel like we are all working together to solve a mystery. :-D

Today they were perfectly quiet until I went to work and I still got a couple of eggs, including a whopper! But I think you all are right; they buh-gawk to communicate everything from "I want the nest box now, hurry up please!" to "Where is everyone?" to "Look out! What's that!"

I'm going to go around this weekend with some eggs and ask my neighbors if it bothers them. If it doesn't, I can relax.

I just love it when my chickens do that
big_smile.png
I hear it more out of my roo, when one of the girls is fussing about something, he starts sounding off. I get a good chuckle out of it.

My chickens are my sanity sometimes; I don't know what I would do, if I didn't have chickens to giggle at.
tongue.png

Dawn

They do make an insane variety of noises! The loudest seem to be egg-related with my group. Then there is the general complaining (well.. maybe they aren't complaining but they sure sound like it!). Then there is the 'hurry up, something is wrong', which sounds sort of like general complaining, but is louder, and everyone does it when they see me (as in.. 'hurry up the wind blew the popdoor closed!' or 'hurry up we need more water!').

Funny chickens! They crack me up. They sure are a talkative bunch! And the house DOES muffle the sound from my girls.. to a certain extent. We have 2 acres, and they are nearly at the very back. Some mornings when I take ds to the bus (at the very front) I can hear them saying they are laying eggs.

Glad to hear they may quiet down. Really, they USED to be SO very quiet. Visitors didn't know we had chickens unless they spotted the house/run. Now.. LOL! totally different.

Yep, mine bugawk when
1) they have just laid an egg ( called hearalding a new egg)
2) when someone is hogging the nest (same as when someone is hogging the loo and you have a bladderbuster)
3) there is a pred hanging around.
4) when they see mdbucks entering through the back gate.
5) when they hear the icecream truck.
6)when my bunnies run through them while they are on the lawn.
7) When I wear my akubra hat with my bikini.
8) when they bump into the clothesline cause they are overdue for a haircut.
9)When the tennis ball is nonsense and heads in their direction.
10) when I hang my granny undies on the clothesline.
D.gif
ep.gif
bun.gif
ya.gif

It sounds cute.... mine don't make all that noise!

No, Wildfrys, not exactly cute, this is the noise I worry that my neighbors will never warm up too and my daughter (when she is home from college) gets up complaining about my "stooooopid chickens", lol! Loud doesn't exactly cover it, really distressingly loud, two houses over, that must have been a huge egg loud is closer! If you find a way to fix this, even a way to give the whole flock laryngitis, let me know too!​

Mine do the loud buh-guak thing when they lay an egg. I never knew they were trying to draw attention away from the nest. I always thought they were saying "Jeez, that hurts!"
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom