Help? Why is my goose rubbing his head on the ground?

Ripleydig40

Chirping
May 7, 2019
North Carolina
My African goose is around 6 months old and has just started to become more aggressive. He loved people up until a little bit ago. Hes now started to nip (hard) and hiss occasionally. The aggression started when he began rubbing his head and neck on the ground. Is there a reason for this? Why do geese do this? Is there a way to fix his growing aggression?

Sounds like hormones have kicked in - and the cuddly phase is OVER. I'd search all you can about living with a Drake...and decide if that is manageable in your situation - or if you have a tasty Sunday dinner coming up. (other alternatives exist, of course, trade, sell, gift...maybe after collecting fertile eggs first?)

I heard head rubbing on the ground can just be bathing behaviour, water doesn't need to be present - not sure its necessarily related to a sudden spike in agression

It can be bathing behavior or courting behavior, they like to bow, then nuzzle or grab. He’ll be hormonal like this from now through spring.

The best way to deal with it is to realize he’s more sensitive and quicker to react over things and he can’t really help it, if he bites or attacks pick him up and say NO, that’s the best way to deescalate an aggressive gander, it teaches him your boss in the most gentle way and snaps him out of it.
If he’s nuzzling which turns to nips you can hold his beak for a second and say NO too. All of it will teach him better behavior, as much as he can manage, and teach him that NO means he’s misbehaving.

Good to know. My sweet little ball of fluff gander has turned into Satan's feathered brother. He's a house gander so his attitude really needs to chill. But no matter what, he will NEVER be Sunday dinner. Or any other dinner.

Same with mine, although at the moment i do face the possibility of having to rehome him due to a grumpy set of neighbours and a potential fine from my local authority but he is really only ever agressive when i carry his water bucket around...little horror bites my hand every time (obviously the bucket is no longer a dangerous predator once ive set it down and he stops)

He has taken to a certain pair of socks i wear with white tips and he bites those like crazy...my poor toes!

Same with mine, although at the moment i do face the possibility of having to rehome him due to a grumpy set of neighbours and a potential fine from my local authority but he is really only ever agressive when i carry his water bucket around...little horror bites my hand every time (obviously the bucket is no longer a dangerous predator once ive set it down and he stops)

He has taken to a certain pair of socks i wear with white tips and he bites those like crazy...my poor toes!
Our gander grooms us well. He loves his dad's toes and apparently, my hair is a tasty delight. He once loved his sister, now my poor 12 year old takes her life into her own hands coming in his lair. But we love the beast.

Back
Top Bottom