Help Winterizing Run in Tennessee

Gammas Bearded Babies

Crossing the Road
May 24, 2021
Middle Tennessee
How do you know based on type chicken and climate what is needed or what is overkill for run and coop?
My question for those of you in milder climates like TENNESSEE...and based on how SILKIES are (dry feet and wind issues) do I need to wrap my run side walls to cut down on the draft through the run and prepareit for winter?

I currently have a 10x20' run enclosed with hardware cloth and 3/4th of that is covered on top with a tarp. I have an issue with rain coming in the sides...and I've noticed past few weeks with weather changing the wind blows considerably inside the run underneath the tarp.

We are building a 9x4' coop but it has quite a bit more to be done before it is of much help to my silkies.

I see a lot of people plastic wrapping, shower curtains, etc their runs and just leaving 10" gap or so around upper portion of run.

Here is pic of existing run with tarp...the new coop can be seen to the right of run and i plan to place an additional tarp over the uncovered portion of the run.

TIA for your assistance and feedback.
FYI...The tiny thing within the run to the far left is currently pre-fab coop that I will only use in future for quarantine/hospital once new coop is completed.
20211027_124800.jpg

Last edited:
Do they have any cross beams to perch on in the top ceiling area? That should keep them dry.

If materials costs have come down, 4x8 osb panels could be leaned up against the sides. That would provide protection against most TN winters.

You should have an emergency plan in case of an unusually cold streak, TN can get hit with sub zero weather like past years.

I like the logs in the center, something compact like that but enclosed may be an option too. Hay bails would be awesome.

Friend of mine raised silkies in an open run with only cover on SW side and top. He lived close to Ft. Loudon lake. He was hatching 50 eggs twice a month. And kept 40 to 50 silkies. Never lost any to weather.

Because the jet stream brings most of our weather from the SW I would focus on that side.

TN really doesn't have that severe of weather. Ultimately it's your chickens and you can build something that alaskans would be proud of.

Friend of mine raised silkies in an open run with only cover on SW side and top. He lived close to Ft. Loudon lake. He was hatching 50 eggs twice a month. And kept 40 to 50 silkies. Never lost any to weather.

Because the jet stream brings most of our weather from the SW I would focus on that side.

TN really doesn't have that severe of weather. Ultimately it's your chickens and you can build something that alaskans would be proud of.
Awesome thanks!
New coop is that direction! Gotta get it done then I'll move tarp to that side of the run.
Getting hay bales today as well!

Last edited:
Im a newby. First winter in NC which is not harsh where I am at. But until the coop is done what about some hay bales like others suggested and make like an igloo out of them. We updated an old shed that was on the prop when we bought it so lucky there and the hubs built an awesome run enclosed with the hardware cloth. Has a nice frame so I screwed some deck screws in and put up wind screens. I take the front off when nice out and secure the bottom with D rings when it goes back up. I also have about half of the top covered with a tarp so when it rains, and we all know it frigin rains in NC, it gives them a nice dry area to be outside. Oh and I use pine needles and leaves to cover the floor of the run to keep it drier and feet clean too. Works fab.

It looks like you can use the clear vinyl to cover one end (three sides) so they have some area that's not as windy and put some bars for them to perch on. (we use t-post + 2x2x8 non-treated wood to make perch for them inside the run, easy enough to make!)

We used clear vinyl table cloth (5x7 panel, $10 each panel) last year to wrap the sides of the run, left 1 ft on top open on three sides, and put strips of plastic sheet as cheap overhang solution to keep the rain out. It worked pretty well, except that the winter wind ripped several panels of the vinyl and we had to patch them with tapes to get through the winter. When spring came, we simply cut off the vinyl and discarded them.

This year, we used 20 gauge marine vinyl - much stronger material to wrap the sides. They look quite nice. I am hoping we can reuse the vinyl next year again!

Back
Top Bottom