Help with 5 week old...

Back on the Farm

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland
I posted earlier about my chick, https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=463478, and now she is getting worse. My chick is now about 5 weeks old. She is getting worse than she was before. She looks hunchbacked and can't stand up straight (like a chicken) she's hunched over and sits on the roost all day. Yesterday she fell over (I think she was trying to fly and can't) and it took her a long time to get back up. She has a hard lump on the right side of her neck (not the crop) and at the joint of her wing on the right side of her body. Her head feathers never came in - she still has chick fuzz on her head and her voice hasn't changed - still peeps, where my other chicks that I bought with her are starting to sound like chickens. I originally thought that she had wry neck and treated her with Poly vitamins w/o iron and after a week an a half with getting vitamins twice a day - no improvement. This was about 3 weeks ago.

Now her head is almost twisted down and up, like she is looking under her body. She is beginning to show signs of pain and being uncomfortable - peeps really loud if touched or moved. Closes her eyes like something hurts. Her feathers are all fluffed up and she is smaller than the other chickens in the brooder. When walking in the brooder - sometimes she walks backwards with the top of her head touching the ground other times she walks forward. The other chicks have never picked on her and both of my golden comets curl up with her to keep her company. First I thought wry neck and then I thought genetic deformatity, now I'm worried about Mareks... although Mareks doesn't usually strike at this young age, plus when we got her at a few days old, she had the lump on her neck. Eyes clear, no discharge from nostrils. Stands on both feet. She has always been more quiet/lethargic than the other chicks. I've seen her eat and drink in the past few days - although she doesn't eat or drink as much as the other chicks - by her choice as no one pushes her out of the way. Even my ducks leave her alone.

I didn't cull her when I noticed her lump/crooked neck because she was bright eyed, ate, drank, and no one picked on her... I figured that if that was the way she was and she wasn't in pain, then why not let her live. Now I'm wondering if I did the right thing. I almost put her down tonight - but something in her eyes kept me from doing it... so here I am on the boards trying to figure out what I can possibly do for her. I gave her Poly vitamins tonight to see if that will help and made sure that she drank water. I'm not sure if she ate or not, but she has access to food and water. Temp in the brooder is about 65-70, no light on the brooder, but there is a light in the room (I just started turning off lights and don't want to completely freak them out just yet - baby steps) They will go to the coop this week.

My youngest son even said tonight that she was going to die... (he's 7).

Ideas as to what is going on??? I've looked for pictures on the internet and can't find any that look like she does. I've checked some of the videos of Mareks and Newcastle on youtube - nothing looks like she does. I was going to take a picture/video - but the camera is out of batteries and I'm out of replacement batteries.

If it is the best for her, what is the best way to put her down? She's about 5 weeks.

Thanks... this if is my first batch of chickens and I'm new to this... not to farming and animals - just new to chickens and ducks.

I'm am so sorry your dealing with this, I wish i had the answers your looking for, but seems to me if she was already like this from the time you got her and has progressively gotten worse that maybe something happened in the egg that caused this that you are seeing? I know it's a tough decision we get so attached, so I'll just say I hope she gets better with taking the vitamins, but if not then I know how you feel right now because I've been there and so has most of us that are here. All the best.

Back
Top Bottom