Help with a baby chick's bum

No, I didn't a pic but I found out that it is called prolapsed rectum and there are pics on here that look alot like it. I can't get it to back in and while she is still quite lively I am not sure what else I can do and then I worry because I read it can recur when she lays eggs and I don't want her to suffer.

Editted to add: I am putting Prep H on it without any pain relief.

Last edited:
This happend to one of my chicks. The back side was all swollen.
Was the yolk sack absorbed all the way? This was the problem with him. The yolk did not fully absorb and got an infection.

I would soak the babies bottom in warm water and see if you can get any discharge to come out.

momma's chickens :

No, I didn't a pic but I found out that it is called prolapsed rectum and there are pics on here that look alot like it. I can't get it to back in and while she is still quite lively I am not sure what else I can do and then I worry because I read it can recur when she lays eggs and I don't want her to suffer.

Editted to add: I am putting Prep H on it without any pain relief.

Did you find out how to treat it ?? Or is the prep H the only thing ??​

I did find out that it seems the only treatment is to prep H and then try to help it go back in very carefully. I also read that sugar mixed with a little water patted on the bum will help reduce the swelling.

My baby's bottom is looking much better today. It actually looks like it sticks out more than it does because the butt area is completely featherless, but she is doing good,
yippiechickie.gif

Offer the baby tiny bits of bread soaked in olive oil. It will help things slide through and give the bottom some time to heal. Also 5 drops of baby polyvisol liquid vitamins will give it a good boost and help it heal. Stop the vitamins after 5 days.

Quote:
Don't forget that is polyvisol WITHOUT IRON! That was not meant to bash you MissPrissy, she just might not know that part. I did not for a long time. and I did not know you should stop after 5 days either!
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Miss Prissy and JMajors. I will do the bread thing right now, that makes perfect sense. I also didn't know about the vitamins and also didn't know that they need to be without iron. I will do both.

Good point, JMajors. i have an older bottle and didn't even think about the added iron now.

Polyvisol once was a simple ABD vitamin.

Back
Top Bottom