Help with a Hen that has paralysis in one leg/foot

LTAY1946

Chicken Wrangler
Premium Feather Member
Sep 8, 2022
South Alabama
This hen is a Cornish/Rock lady that has sibling hens that weigh 10lbs up to maybe 14. The hen in need weighs only around 3-4.
She has a healthy appetite and has free access to the same layer crumbles the other hens eat.
She drinks as she needs and acts entirely normal.
We have her separated from the flock and make sure she has all her intake needs met.
One leg is normal and the other is weak and her foot stays balled up like a fist. She has no use of it.
Poop is normal like the other hens.
I had one American Bresse hen do this that recovered but this Cornish Cross hen has been down for over 2 1/2 months.

I am clueless at this point on what to do. I keep her inside at night at of the cold because she can't mix with her sisters at all.
Any and all help will be much appreciated.

How old are they? This is a Cornish cross meat bird? They are known for leg and heart problems and generally don't live long. They grow so fast and get so heavy that they often 'out grow' their legs. That she is so much smaller than her hatch mates indictates that she may have other issues going on also, perhaps with nutrient absorption. With a layer breed I would recommend supplementing the B vitamins, riboflavin particularly, as that can cause curled toes. In a meat bird that may not be effective, but you can try if you want. A super B complex tablet or capsule, human ones, once a day. The B's are very safe, no risk of overdosing. Unfortunately, you may not be able to overcome her genetics.

How old are they? This is a Cornish cross meat bird? They are known for leg and heart problems and generally don't live long. They grow so fast and get so heavy that they often 'out grow' their legs. That she is so much smaller than her hatch mates indictates that she may have other issues going on also, perhaps with nutrient absorption. With a layer breed I would recommend supplementing the B vitamins, riboflavin particularly, as that can cause curled toes. In a meat bird that may not be effective, but you can try if you want. A super B complex tablet or capsule, human ones, once a day. The B's are very safe, no risk of overdosing. Unfortunately, you may not be able to overcome her genetics.
Yes this is a Cornish Cross meat bird that is 4 1/2 months old. Out of 25 birds I did lose 2 to heart attacks. Both big males. Lost no hens. I curtailed their feed and slowed their growth down early as well as used laying mash with extra calcium early for hopefully better bone strength. I have B Complex with C on hand and will start that now. She has a good appetite and it shouldn't be hard to get it in her. I do hope I can fix her up and keep her as a pet. She is a real sweetheart.

Good luck with her. It's very hard to keep them as pets, but some manage it. They just weren't designed for long lives, unfortunately. At 4 1/2 months they have already well passed their recommended age for processing, which is usually 6 - 9 weeks depending on the size/weight desired. At 3 to 4 lbs she is extremely small for her age.

Unfortunately my loving pet passed in her sleep last night. Her pen pal was with her during the night. Both had special needs. Her pal is a Delaware pullet that has scissor beak. They always kept each other company with no cross words out of either of them.

Back
Top Bottom