Help with a NEW chick!

nelsondr

In the Brooder
May 4, 2022
Hi everyone, and thank you for this group! (I just joined today.) We hatched chicks in my classroom for the first time and most hatched just yesterday. We are all aware that things may happen at any time in the hatch process and after. We have one little chick with something wrong with its pin feathers on one wing. They look dried out and are a little red, which, of course, makes the other peck at it. I pulled the chick into a clean, dry incubator and added food and water. I am wondering, will it be ok all alone for a few days for it to (hopefully) heal and whether there is anything I can do to help the wing heal. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Injured Chick.JPG

The chick needs to be with the other chicks. It's probably wearing itself out peeping for its mates.

Get some Blu-kote and dab a little onto the red spot with a Q-tip. Careful. The stuff stains like crazy. Dab it, let it dry. Let the chick go back with the others. The blue will neutralize the instinct to peck at something red.

The chick needs to be with the other chicks. It's probably wearing itself out peeping for its mates.

Get some Blu-kote and dab a little onto the red spot with a Q-tip. Careful. The stuff stains like crazy. Dab it, let it dry. Let the chick go back with the others. The blue will neutralize the instinct to peck at something red.
Yes!! Exactly what azygous said!!

Omg, almost as soon as you said that it started relentlessly screaming. I came to write a P.S. to ask about that and saw your reply. I have hens and have Blu-kote at home, so my hubby is bringing it to school. I wouldn't have thought I could use it on a chick, but I will give it a try. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom