Help with a sick 3 week old Buff Oprington

Ryguy3684

Here comes the Rooster
Premium Feather Member
May 29, 2020
Fauquier County, Virginia, United States.
I've had my 10 Buff Oprington chicks for 3 weeks. All are doing great, but one. Her body is 1/3 of the size of the others, but her wing feathers are normal sized, with other feathers developing. She acts disoriented, and walks in circles most of the time. She also spends most of her time under the heater and is fairly lethargic. The catch is that she eats and drinks well. I noticed her stool for the first time today and it was liquid with what looked like undigested food. I've read that it could be Runting-stunting syndrome, but I'm not positive. My main concern is if it's contagious. I can handle it if she dies, but I want to make sure it doesn't spread to the rest of the flock. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm sorry. That sounds sad. The only time I ever had a sickly one I gave it sugar water and it got to feeling better fast. I have heard yogurt is good when a baby chick is sick. - are you giving them Probiotics ?

Sorry about your chick. Have you been using any vitamins or electrolytes? Poultry NutriDrench is very good 1 ml daily given a drop at a time. I would be tempted to give her Corid for possible coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. It is safe for all of the chicks. She may have some failure to thrive problems, but it would be worth a try. Enteritis could also be a problem. That is treated first by treating coccidiosis, and then an antibiotic is given for the enteritis. Amoxicillin can be used, and may be available at Tractor Supply as FishMox. I would divide a fish mox capsule into 4 doses, and give 1 dose twice a day, mixed in a little egg. Here is an article about enteritis:
https://thepoultrysite.com/disease-guide/necrotic-enteritis

Last edited:
Thank you very much for the helpful information. I will give that a try. Do you know if the medication for coccidiosis can be given since they are on medicated food? I started them on Purina start & grow medicated crumbles, since the hatchery didn't vaccinate. It contains Amprolium, which is used as treatment for coccidiosis, from what I've read.

Sorry about your chick. Have you been using any vitamins or electrolytes? Poultry NutriDrench is very good 1 ml daily given a drop at a time. I would be tempted to give her Corid for possible coccidiosis. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. It is safe for all of the chicks. She may have some failure to thrive problems, but it would be worth a try. Enteritis could also be a problem. That is treated first by treating coccidiosis, and then an antibiotic is given for the enteritis. Amoxicillin can be used, and may be available at Tractor Supply as FishMox. I would divide a fish mox capsule into 4 doses, and give 1 dose twice a day, mixed in a little egg. Here is an article about enteritis:
https://thepoultrysite.com/disease-guide/necrotic-enteritis
|
Maybe it's a stupid question, but wouldn't more than one bird be affected if it were coccidiosis? I'm not trying to argue, I'm just trying to learn. As much as I can. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom